SD Card Audio

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogsetc

Bear with me on this because until last weekend the 6-disc multichanger in my old car was about as technical as I got when it comes to music :oops:

I have somehow successfully uploaded most of my CD collection, via iTunes, onto an SD card and am finding it generally surprisingly easy to operate the SD card audio function on the car. So far so good :!: Now I have a couple of questions for more advanced (and probably slightly less grey haired) users:

1. Is it possible to get the 'jacket' image to display properly and if so how? I've succeeded in getting the 'album artwork' into my library in most cases and have copied the files with the artwork onto the SD card, however I just get that 'no image displayed' message :?

2. Is there a way of searching for a song, other than filtering through the music menu (which works, I know, but can mean quite a few screen presses whereas a search function could be quicker).

maddogsetc said:
Bear with me on this because until last weekend the 6-disc multichanger in my old car was about as technical as I got when it comes to music :oops:

I have somehow successfully uploaded most of my CD collection, via iTunes, onto an SD card and am finding it generally surprisingly easy to operate the SD card audio function on the car. So far so good :!: Now I have a couple of questions for more advanced (and probably slightly less grey haired) users:

1. Is it possible to get the 'jacket' image to display properly and if so how? I've succeeded in getting the 'album artwork' into my library in most cases and have copied the files with the artwork onto the SD card, however I just get that 'no image displayed' message :?

2. Is there a way of searching for a song, other than filtering through the music menu (which works, I know, but can mean quite a few screen presses whereas a search function could be quicker).

Hi,

Despite regarding myself as quite technical I haven't managed to work out why album art isn't displaying on mine either. I am using a memory card on the USB port. This same memory card displayed album art fine on my previous Prius, and the same files display album art fine on my Android phone. I did embed the album art within the mp3 file rather than a separate file.

Would love some even more technical person to tell us both what we are doing wrong...

As for your question 2, if there is a way, it isn't obvious.

Kind regards,
Mark

I had a look into this issue when I got the car.
Music players have two ways of handling album art, either by reading a separate file from the directory (AlbumArt_xxx for mp3)
or by embedding the picture into the music file.
The MMCS uses the embedded album art, so the way to get this working is to add the picture to each of the music files (AAC files for an iPhone/iPod).
I have only tried it on MP3 and WMA myself with MP3Tag (freeware) and it worked in most cases on the SD card but it is time consuming.
It failed when the mebedded picture was too large (seems to be a limit in MMCS).
I haven't investigated what happens when you use the USB instead but it seems that MMCS reads the USB memory differently compared to the SD card.
It might be so that album art is not available at all when using USB memory.

Jens

Hi

I since tried copying my files to an SD card and the album art still didn't work. The album art is embedded within my mp3 files. From what you said it sounds as though the most likely cause is that the MMCS can't handle art when the size is above a certain limit. I will try testing with a smaller image when I get chance.

Kind regards
Mark

Hi,

I tried multiple mp3's from my SD card and found some that displayed album art fine. I tried the same mp3 files from USB and they didn't work. So I can confirm that there seems NO way to display album art from USB at all and it seems very likely, as swedephev says, that album art needs to be 200x200 or less.

I have no intention of redoing all my music with smaller file sizes just to get this working and it seems like a shame the PHEV doesn't work as most other devices seem to.

Kind regards,

Mark

Bluetooth connection works for phone and music. I had to make sure that it worked as streaming music was my son's most requested feature :).

Jens

Hi,

On the SD card there seems to be a limit as not all my folders are listed. It stops when it gets down to the T's. Strange since it supports 32GB cards.

On USB it seems to list and be able to play all folders.

Kind regards,

Mark

Yes that is correct. The number of directories (and music files) are limited on the SD card.
I can't find the exact numbers but it is fairly low.
You have to keep your top favourites on the SD card and your music library on the USB memory ;)

Jens

Another question on this - the MMCS only displays album title and song title when playing music - has anyone found a setting change to enable it to display the artist too :?:

Find it a bit irritating as I leave it on random play and sometimes don't recognise a song. Not having the artist name makes it harder, especially with loads of really helpful album titles like "greatest hits" :roll:

I suppose I could go through all the files on the card and rename the album title, but I'm hoping there's an easier way round this...

avensys said:
Hi,

On the SD card there seems to be a limit as not all my folders are listed. It stops when it gets down to the T's. Strange since it supports 32GB cards.

Kind regards,

Mark
If you put your files into the root folder on the SD card the amount of data is limited, you need to create sub-folders under the root directory and then you will be able to fill the SD card to its limits.

rettoc said:
avensys said:
Hi,

Kind regards,

Mark
If you put your files into the root folder on the SD card the amount of data is limited, you need to create sub-folders under the root directory and then you will be able to fill the SD card to its limits.
They are in folders which is why I said my folders are only listed down to the T's ...

Hi, I'm very excited as i've got my new Outlander PHEV coming soon and just preparing my SD card ready for use.

I was a bit worried when I heard about folder and data limits :-| I've already purchased 2 32GB SD cards for the purpose of storing my music collection...

Does anybody know what the limits are? And does it support multiple levels of folder hierarchy? I'd like to put artist names as top level folders, album names as folders inside and then tracks in the album folders.

Very excited to get my new car but just want to be prepared with the music :)

I'd heard mention for a USB interface to the audio system, does this work better than the SD card slot? I guess in that case I could just purchase a USB SD card reader?

Cheers,

Kevin

Back