Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Torque build up "off the line"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:18 am 

Ah, should have explained. Nothing to do with regen braking or whatsoever. This parameter is just revealing the amount of pressure in the brake lines that run to the friction brakes.

When standing still (waiting for the next test to commence) this value will be greater than 0. So, the thought behind adding it to the graph is that when the value goes to 0 the test has started.

But once the test has started, there is no more need to read the value every sweep. In order to keep the sweep time as low as possible, I stop reading brake pressure once it has gone to 0. Problem is that I would have to restart my software in order to do a second test. So, I choose to skip the next 10 sweeps whenever the value goes to 0. Is the value still 0 after that, it will skip another 10 sweeps. Is it not 0, than it will continue to read the value every sweep. And so on. 10 sweeps is just a few seconds, so as long as I stand still for a few seconds at the beginning of the next test, the scanner software will have found a > 0 value and continue to read the value every sweep.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:52 pm 

anko wrote:
Ah, should have explained. Nothing to do with regen braking or whatsoever. This parameter is just revealing the amount of pressure in the brake lines that run to the friction brakes.

When standing still (waiting for the next test to commence) this value will be greater than 0. So, the thought behind adding it to the graph is that when the value goes to 0 the test has started.

But once the test has started, there is no more need to read the value every sweep. In order to keep the sweep time as low as possible, I stop reading brake pressure once it has gone to 0. Problem is that I would have to restart my software in order to do a second test. So, I choose to skip the next 10 sweeps whenever the value goes to 0. Is the value still 0 after that, it will skip another 10 sweeps. Is it not 0, than it will continue to read the value every sweep. And so on. 10 sweeps is just a few seconds, so as long as I stand still for a few seconds at the beginning of the next test, the scanner software will have found a > 0 value and continue to read the value every sweep.

I get it now - you are compensating for time lag in the calcs. Makes sense. Is this all going to be captured in the EvBatMon App?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:17 pm 

One more attempt.

Properly spaced and on a linear scale. Every reading has its own timestamp now, instead of one timestamp per sweep. This results in a more true picture. All three graphs span 15 seconds, which should allow for good comparison.

Vertical red lines mark the timeframe in which my foot was moved away from the brake (to the throttle).

First is normal mode.
Second is charge mode.
Third is charge mode and pressing the throttle before ereleasing the brake.

Unfortunately, I ran out of runway on the third attempt, so that one was aborted @ 90 km/h :evil: :lol:

I thought these were going to be the last ones, but just now I realise that next to "Torque Delivered", I have also a parameter for "Torque Requested" :geek: :cry:

Personally, I like how these graphs demonstrate how afirst torque is constant and power increases and then, from approx 55 km/h power is constant and torque decreases. Especially the third seems to have captured that moment quite right .....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:52 pm 

I think all data shows the constant torque to constant power transition quite well.

Really shows that we should not be too worried about the seemingly late startup of the ICE. During the first few seconds, all the power is coming from the battery, with the torque limiting dominating.

I have recorded some ICE starts with periods of higher acceleration, but these only resulted in petrol consumption as the generator was not seen to produce any electrical power.

If the ICE has operated just prior to the rapid acceleration period, I can see it helping out with the power needs, but if it was the first start, then power would be limited to the 60kW that the battery can supply, and this would affect any recorded data. I believe that successive acceleration tests are not showing what a driver normally experiences. The PHEV works well after the ICE has run for 20-30seconds. When it has not run at all before the period of rapid acceleration is when the driver notices a power shortage.

Make the GRID your friend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:16 am 

Still, these curves do not indicate how Mitsubishi was able to improve the off the line performance so dramatically whilst maintaining the specifications. Rather the opposite.

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:21 am 

gwatpe wrote:
Really shows that we should not be too worried about the seemingly late startup of the ICE. During the first few seconds, all the power is coming from the battery, with the torque limiting dominating.

Interesting observation. Even before owning the car, simply by reading the spec sheets, I have always assumed that it would not make a difference whether the engine was pre-started or not, as indeed, at low speed that battery can produce all the power the E-motors can consume. From the graphs, it seems to make a very small difference but not something to worry about.

Also, the graphs show that even when stamping on the throttle, the engine does not start until you start moving (unless you are using Charge mode, of course). So, again something I reported earlier comes back to mind: While trying to tow the wheels of my caravan out of a little ditch, the engine started while I was not yet moving. I never understood why it would do that, as at 0 or very low speed the E-motors would not be able not handle the additional power anyway. Still don’t understand.

Unless there is a difference between standing still and standing still. With the brakes fully engaged, you may assumed the E-motors are near perfectly stopped. When trying to pull the caravan out of the ditch, some rocking may take place, resulting in a few revs from the E-motors.

Perhaps the combination of high torque demand + little revs of the E-motors trigger the engine startup. Or maybe the fact that the brakes are deployed stop the engine from starting up. Who knows …

gwatpe wrote:
I have recorded some ICE starts with periods of higher acceleration, but these only resulted in petrol consumption as the generator was not seen to produce any electrical power.

If the ICE has operated just prior to the rapid acceleration period, I can see it helping out with the power needs, but if it was the first start, then power would be limited to the 60kW that the battery can supply, and this would affect any recorded data. I believe that successive acceleration tests are not showing what a driver normally experiences. The PHEV works well after the ICE has run for 20-30seconds. When it has not run at all before the period of rapid acceleration is when the driver notices a power shortage.

How long was this period of “excessive acceleration, engine running but not electrical power generated by the generator”? Because I can imagine this happening when you accidentally and briefly cross the 60 kW threshold. But when you deliberately and for longer period cross the 60 kW threshold? I wonder. It would also be contradictory to MMC statement that they did not implement an EV only button for safety reasons: “an EV only button could would mean you have limited power available in an emergency situation”.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:22 am 

jaapv wrote:
Still, these curves do not indicate how Mitsubishi was able to improve the off the line performance so dramatically whilst maintaining tthe specifications. Rather the opposite.
Agreed. We need that MY16 data badly :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:46 am 

Well, let's keep it at "allegedly improving the of-the-line performance dramatically" until we have a direct comparison between models and-or the new data. Blinde Maupie*... :roll:

* For our UK friends: "Adam and Eve" ;)

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:45 am 

Ordered one of these:
http://www.dx.com/p/vgate-btwifi-icar-e ... nkn0hXhC70
Looks like a direct copy of the one Anko is using, hopefully we can do the exact same tests on my 2016 model.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:48 am 

Could be very interesting :)

Instyle+ 2013
Titanium Grey
Off-white leather
Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next