23’ Outlander Innovative Pedal - Mike Mas

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowOnCash

Hello All - I accumulated a some notes concerning the 2023 Outlander PHEV “Innovative Pedal” feature, which I would like to share with other owners for their input as well.

For benefit of new owners who are not familiar with Innovative Pedal, commonly know as “Single Pedal” driving, it allows the EV’s accelerator pedal to function as both an accelerator and a brake as well.

When driving with Outlander’s Innovative Pedal feature selected on the console, as you let off the accelerator at any speed, the car will slow almost to a stop avoiding the use of the brake pedal. The further you let off the accelerator, the faster and quicker the car comes to almost a stop. This is accomplished by using the Outlanders drive motors as generators, to generate large amounts of energy as high as 40 kw, which is then stored in the battery.

Once the Outlander is slowed to around 5 mph using regen, the pedal feature pauses and the EV begin a crawl somewhat like a conventional automatic transmission. Innovative Pedal can very helpful in stop and go traffic since you’ll seldom need the brake pedal. While most owners prefer that Innovative Pedal bring the car to a complete stop, Mitsubishi claims by allowing the car to creep, makes it easier to maneuver in tight quarters and parking.

While I generally do not use Innovative Pedal since it actually reduces range, I decided to try the Innovative feature on a trip to town. After charging the battery, as I sped up to 45 mph then let off the accelerator and much to my surprise, I could both feel and hear the cars disk brakes engage to slow the car down. I also noticed there was little regen created as well, confirming the car had to be using the service brake.

To document my findings, the next day I fully charged again then slowly coasted to the end of my driveway then measured brake disk temperature at 83 degrees. I then sped up to 40 mph and released the accelerator until the car was in a crawl. I did this three more times in a 1/2 mile stretch then measured the front disk temperature again and it rose to 183 degrees, confirming that Innovative Pedal was definitely stopping the car primarily using the service brakes.

My test confirmed that Innovative Pedal has the ability to use different amounts of regen blended with the brakes if needed to avoid over-charging the HV battery. Somewhat like Outlanders B3-B5 regen during high SOC, where it starts the engine then uses the starter motor to spin the engine to dissipate regen energy when the battery is full, Innovative Pedal also reverts to alternative methods to avoid over-charging a full battery.

https://www.outlanderforums.com/threads/outlander-b3-5-engine-spin-up-protocol-mike-mas.547/

Typical activity of Innovative Pedal with average SOC, is when the accelerator pedal is fully released say at 50 mph, it can generate up 40 kw of current, almost 12 times higher than Outlanders level 2 charging.

However, when the HV battery is at or near full charge, the BMS then limits regen to around 5 kw. The other 35 kw of the energy is then consumed by the service brakes and wasted as heat. As the HV battery discharges more and more to make room for the regen, service brakes are avoided and 100% of the drive motors regen is then captured in the HV battery for use at a later time.

For general driving, owners should avoid Innovative Pedal or high B3-B5 regen, since it will cost you range for the convenience of quick stops from regen. While pedal regen is fine to use in slow stop & go traffic, using Innovative Pedal for high sped general driving wastes considerable battery energy.

The reason single pedal and Innovative Pedal wastes energy, is because it’s over reactive and erratic in use. There’s no real neutral for coasting, it’s like a switch, it’s either on or off, you’re either accelerating or braking and never coasting. You lose the ability for a smooth transition between power and braking. In other words, if you need 10-40 kw of regen to stop your car “then you are simply waiting to long to let off the accelerator”.

Regards - Mike

console.jpg

temp1.jpg

temp2.jpg

out1.jpg

Thanks for the reply - Your correct if kinetic energy is regenerated and goes to the battery as current - if it goes to brakes its just kinetic energy dissipated in heat.

While on the subject of brakes, I neglected to mention when using Innovative Pedal, you can visually see it in action by the brake pedal lowering as you let off the accelerator. Regardless of SOC the system still applies the brakes to a certain point in readiness.

Mike

LowOnCash said:
Thanks for the reply - Your correct if kinetic energy is regenerated and goes to the battery as current - if it goes to brakes its just kinetic energy dissipated in heat.

I think you're missing my point. Energy is Power x Time. If Energy is dissipated, it will be kWh, if power is being talked about at a moment in time during that energy dissipation, it's kW. If that is happening electrically, then for the momentary power values of course it can be expressed in A (along with a V), but if you're talking about how much energy was dissipated then it would have to be in Ah (with the corresponding V).

Thanks for the reply- there are different forms of energy when slowing or stopping an EV, crash, brakes or using the EV's motor. If you apply this energy to the drive motors to slow or stop the car it is producing current. If this same kinetic energy is used by the brakes then the energy is dissipated by friction and turned to heat.

Regards - Mike

You're still missing my point. Yes, there is energy that needs dissipating. But a current is an instantaneous measurement of something (the generator is producing power instantaneously, energy over time of producing that power), whilst energy is not. If you want to convey that an amount of energy has been converted through the generator, then you have to say it is x Amps over y Time. You can't say it's just x Amps. That is how much power was instantaneously produced. A little power over a long time is a lot of energy, or a lot of power over a short time can be a little energy.

littlescrote said:
You're still missing my point. Yes, there is energy that needs dissipating. But a current is an instantaneous measurement of something (the generator is producing power instantaneously, energy over time of producing that power), whilst energy is not. If you want to convey that an amount of energy has been converted through the generator, then you have to say it is x Amps over y Time. You can't say it's just x Amps. That is how much power was instantaneously produced. A little power over a long time is a lot of energy, or a lot of power over a short time can be a little energy.

Thanks for the reply - However I'm not missing your point at all. You're just confused when it comes kinetic energy stored in a moving car. You need to re-read my last post:

There are different forms of energy when slowing or stopping an EV, crash, brakes or using the EV's motor. If you apply this energy to the drive motors to slow or stop the car it is producing current. If this same kinetic energy is used by the brakes then the energy is dissipated by friction and turned to heat.

Regarding your comments on "instantaneous measurement" there are thousands of variables such as size, speed, velocity, temperature, etc. You need to focus your thoughts on just stopping the Outlander using friction brakes or motor regen and leave all that "instantaneous measurement" stuff to Elon at Space X you're only confusing yourself.

Regards - Mike

rf.jpg

Mike, he is just pointing out the technicality about kW being a measure of Power. It is common on forums for folks to throw around incorrect units of measure by mistake.
Looks like you guys are going around in circles. :roll:

Lon12 said:
Mike, he is just pointing out the technicality about kW being a measure of Power. It is common on forums for folks to throw around incorrect units of measure by mistake.

Thanks for the reply - I 'm pretty sure he knows exactly what I'm talking about. There's current, wattage, volts, losses, heat, amperage etc, but there's no need to make a simple PHEV any more complex than needed for the sake of new owners.

Regards - Mike

Lon12 said:

Indeed. I'm giving up now. I made my point for others to understand.

Well, while the explanation of one-pedal driving you presented here is correct there are some inaccuracies.

One-pedal is not an on-off switch like you are saying, it is like rheostat with indefinite positions between full on and full off. The power meter needle on the main console will show that and one can coast as well, not so convenient like on B0 though.

Also since one-pedal braking is using the friction pads why you think the vehicle won't use the same friction pads if out of one-pedal driving mode?

Thanks for the reply - single pedal driving has been analyzed and studied thousands of time and the results are always the same it reduces range, As I mentioned, if you need that much regen braking you're going to fast to your stopping point. The most efficient driving with EV's is to coast when ever possible, the exact opposite of single pedal driving.

Regards - Mike

LowOnCash said:
Thanks for the reply - single pedal driving has been analyzed and studied thousands of time and the results are always the same it reduces range, As I mentioned, if you need that much regen braking you're going to fast to your stopping point. The most efficient driving with EV's is to coast when ever possible, the exact opposite of single pedal driving.

Regards - Mike

Single pedal driving does not prevent you from coasting! It's a skill to learn to balance pedal travel but is pretty easy to do with the aid of the power gauge to calibrate your foot vs coasting or accelerating/decelerating. One pedal driving is not the cause of reducing range by itself, ineptitude in using it is.

LowOnCash said:

Regards - Mike

I couldn't say it better than Littlescrote...
How is single pedal driving preventing you from coasting, forcing you to accelerate fast or stop abruptly?
It's not the single pedal mode but behind the wheel input that reduces the range.

All your assumptions that one uses single pedal mode just because the need of strong regen braking is a nonsense.

Like if you have to stop fast you are going to do it more efficiently by not using single pedal mode!

Thanks for the reply - Just to be clear, I'm not saying owners should not use Innovative Pedal if you like it use it. However other than the "Convenience" feature in stop and go traffic there is no advantage. All my I-3's had single pedal driving, while it's different and unique it offers no range advantages. There is a false impression that Innovative pedal offers the owner more regen and range which is simply not true, it's the exact opposite there's less range.

Your comment if you have to stop quickly is another misconception. Performing the same stop that you did with innovative pedal by using the foot brake will yield the same amount of regen energy.

As you make the same stop with the brakes, as you immediately let off the accelerator regen starts, then as you apply the foot brake you will accomplish the same exact amount of regen, since as you apply the brake it first uses regen and only on emergency braking does the disk brakes work. Innovative Pedal is nothing other than a sales feature for manufactures - it accomplishes the same exact thing as the brake pedal.

Another fault of Innovative Pedal is it starts the engine wasting fuel when used it during high SOC. No matter how you look at it, single pedal driving and over use of regen reduces range.

The Outlander is most efficient in "Drive" mode, since B2 offers a perfect blend of low regen and coasting for maximum range.

Regards - Mike

Hope Mitsu have this one pedal thing set to light up the brake lights when the car slows, some do not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0YW7x9U5TQ

That last part about the brake lights is interesting.

I learned to drive in cars with manual gears, and I (and every other competent driver on the road) would always 'engine brake' rather than stomping on the brake pedal.

So driving with your brain turned off and reacting like a squid to red lights in front of you didn't work then, just like it doesn't work now.

The correct response is of course PAY ATTENTION AND STOP TAIL GATING.

I guess that's too hard.

LowOnCash said:
Thanks for the reply - Just to be clear, I'm not saying owners should not use Innovative Pedal if you like it use it. However other than the "Convenience" feature in stop and go traffic there is no advantage. All my I-3's had single pedal driving, while it's different and unique it offers no range advantages. There is a false impression that Innovative pedal offers the owner more regen and range which is simply not true, it's the exact opposite there's less range.

Your comment if you have to stop quickly is another misconception. Performing the same stop that you did with innovative pedal by using the foot brake will yield the same amount of regen energy.

As you make the same stop with the brakes, as you immediately let off the accelerator regen starts, then as you apply the foot brake you will accomplish the same exact amount of regen, since as you apply the brake it first uses regen and only on emergency braking does the disk brakes work. Innovative Pedal is nothing other than a sales feature for manufactures - it accomplishes the same exact thing as the brake pedal.

Another fault of Innovative Pedal is it starts the engine wasting fuel when used it during high SOC. No matter how you look at it, single pedal driving and over use of regen reduces range.

The Outlander is most efficient in "Drive" mode, since B2 offers a perfect blend of low regen and coasting for maximum range.

Regards - Mike

Who have said that innovative Pedal increases the range and efficiency and offer more regen!? Nobody here implied that.
Of course it is only a convenience feature, but contrary of your assumptions it dose not reduces the range. Like you have said it uses the same regen, same brakes and same engine, so if it reduces the range is because it's not used properly.

"Your comment if you have to stop quickly is another misconception. Performing the same stop that you did with innovative pedal by using the foot brake will yield the same amount of regen energy."

Where I have said that using innovative pedal will yield more regen!!!!???
You should start reading more carefully... I have said that with the regular driving - 2 pedal, one will waste the same amount of energy, ie the innovative pedal do not waste more but the same.
You have said it yourself in your last post but from the first post trying to imply it is a waste.

AndyInOz said:
That last part about the brake lights is interesting.

I learned to drive in cars with manual gears, and I (and every other competent driver on the road) would always 'engine brake' rather than stomping on the brake pedal.

So driving with your brain turned off and reacting like a squid to red lights in front of you didn't work then, just like it doesn't work now.

The correct response is of course PAY ATTENTION AND STOP TAIL GATING.

I guess that's too hard.
Who is saying that the tailgater didn't learn to drive manual gears and is reacting only on red light!?
The correct response is to move over and stop impeding traffic.

Back