UK off peak 32A charging modification

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeeeth

I have just successfully modified my standard 32A Rolec charging box with the use of a DIN rail timer if anyone is interested. I took load of pictures during the modification too

This means I can now charge at night with cheap rate electricity automatically

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

I had to look up to see what a DIN Rail timer was. It is a replacement relay for the fusebox that has a timer on it. That is very cool and I didn't know such a 'thing' existed.

Conversely, I have to charge during the day to get cheap electricity :lol:

Mine is a series 3 so hasn't got all the whistles and bells like a charging timer like some models.
I just have a standard twin rate meter and now use Economy 7, I thought this was really clever to do this but it looks like the newer models can do this automatically???

Smeeeth said:
Mine is a series 3 so hasn't got all the whistles and bells like a charging timer like some models.

I just have a standard twin rate meter and now use Economy 7, I thought this was really clever to do this but it looks like the newer models can do this automatically???

Not sure which models do and don't have the timer, mine has though, and you can stop / start charging via the smartphone app.

Using your workaround is very clever in it's own right :)

Thanks, I am just trying to pass this information onto anyone that needs it.
I took loads of photos during the conversion, but looks like anyone with the 4 or 5 can do this anyway.

I don't know any way of targeting the series 3 drivers that might want this information?

Smeeeth said:
Thanks, I am just trying to pass this information onto anyone that needs it.
I took loads of photos during the conversion, but looks like anyone with the 4 or 5 can do this anyway.

I don't know any way of targeting the series 3 drivers that might want this information?

I'm quite sure what the point of this is? As you mention Economy 7, I assume you are charging at night like I do (as do most users) so apart from saving the effort of going out late at night to start the charging, is there any other benefit :?: I appreciate that if you've gone down the route of a 32A charger you can't use a plug-in timer like I could in my standard 3 pin socket.

My car now charges between 1am and 7am on Economy 7.

I understand that I may be behind the times but anyone else with a standard Rolec tethered charging point and a 3GSx this will help them save a lot of money automatically.

Perhaps I am the only one????

For obvious reasons, I am not all too familiar with economy7, but how much do you save per kWh? And how much of your savings do you loose when you get a phone call late in the evening and you nee to make an unexpected trip with a flat battery?

Personally, I got rid of my off peak plan and went for a flat rate.

Cheap rate is about 1/3 price.
Currently 25% of my electric is at this rate - dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, etc

I currently pay;
Day rate 11.5p
Night rate 4.5p

The timer I have fitted has an override if you want to go out more during the day you can charge during the day.

Ah, now I understand why you would bother. With us a flat rate could be 20 cents a kWh, where in an off peak scheme, the night rate would be 18 but the day rate 21 cents. So, only a very small saving at night (10% or so) at the expense of a penalty during the day.

I only have a standard Rolec tethered box;

http://assets.rolecserv.com/files/products_document/5041eda699684d99baf989b6ad4806a9/EVWPD007%20-%20WALLPOD%20CommercialCharge%20single%20phase%20IEC%2062196%20tethered%20.pdf

So no way of charging at night unless you go out and plug in at 1am, so I have modded my charging point with a timed relay so I can plug in and it won't charge until 1am.

Back