Eco Leaves

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ1045

Well does anyone know how the car determines whether you are worthy of a leaf or whether it should take some away? I still have no idea what drives leaf awards.

I've seen it documented somewhere in the manuals - but can't remember exactly where now.

Page 6-14. Not that it helps much. "ECO score indicates the points you have scored on fuel-efficient driving by the number of leaves.." There is some generic yagga-yagga under "Economical Driving" but nothing substantive.

The only time I get 5 leaves is on a relatively flat drive with no traffic for a few hundred km. The minute there is a bend in the road, or a car in front, all the good effort is gone. Cruise control has a lead foot.

Does anyone actually care about these leaves? I pay less than no attention to them myself - don't need some algorithm to tell me when I've driven economically - it might as well tell me my dress sense leaves something to be desired...

maddogsetc said:
It might as well tell me my dress sense leaves something to be desired...

When you start wearing those retro 70's clothes again and you find the car won't start, you will now know the reason why!

CJ1045 said:
Well does anyone know how the car determines whether you are worthy of a leaf or whether it should take some away? I still have no idea what drives leaf awards.

Hello,
You get more leaves the more energy you regenerate: Use the stearing wheel handles to regenerate energy at every opportunity, and only touch the break pedal when you really have to, and you will get Leaves !

It is pretty meaningless since the computer in charge of giving out leaves doesn't appreciate the benefit of gliding in B0. But it does appreciate you driving at sub 20 mph - I usually get 5 leaves if driving on a track!
H

I've been watching / investigating the leaves and have decided that they are 100% pointless.

As said before, if you drive 20 yards with no throttle and stop using the paddles you will get 5 leaves, however do anything remotely 'normal', ie brake, accelerate, turn corners etc you lose leaves faster than a tree in Autumn...

Absolutely pointless...

Last night I convinced myself that the leaves mean nothing, so I'll not pay any attention to them in the future. For the three weeks of owning my PHEV, I've enjoyed driving quietly and economically, accelerating softly to stop ICE kicking in, using regen, and B0 coasting, etc.....mostly out of curiosity. I do a regular 40 mile per day commute, about 80% dual carriageway. I consistently get 3 or 4 leaves and a combined mpg of around 80-90 (I charge at both ends of my journey, and manage all but the last few miles each way on EV). However, last night I was pushed for time, so took that as an excuse to drive very uneconomincally and see what difference it made to the figures. I went over the top and often floored the accelerator, didn't bother with regen, and did the majority of the journey at over 70 mph. Basically the way I used to drive my BMW all the time :oops: At the end of my journey I got four leaves!! And an mpg reading of 80.

So I guess it's good news - the PHEV is pretty economical even when driven hard. Does make me wonder if there's any point at all in being overly concerned about ultra-economical driving styles; doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference! And the performance with the ICE at full load was better than I had been expecting! :D

But the leaves mean nothing.........

DrSlackBladder said:
Last night I convinced myself that the leaves mean nothing, so I'll not pay any attention to them in the future. For the three weeks of owning my PHEV, I've enjoyed driving quietly and economically, accelerating softly to stop ICE kicking in, using regen, and B0 coasting, etc.....mostly out of curiosity. I do a regular 40 mile per day commute, about 80% dual carriageway. I consistently get 3 or 4 leaves and a combined mpg of around 80-90 (I charge at both ends of my journey, and manage all but the last few miles each way on EV). However, last night I was pushed for time, so took that as an excuse to drive very uneconomincally and see what difference it made to the figures. I went over the top and often floored the accelerator, didn't bother with regen, and did the majority of the journey at over 70 mph. Basically the way I used to drive my BMW all the time :oops: At the end of my journey I got four leaves!! And an mpg reading of 80.

So I guess it's good news - the PHEV is pretty economical even when driven hard. Does make me wonder if there's any point at all in being overly concerned about ultra-economical driving styles; doesn't seem to make a great deal of difference! And the performance with the ICE at full load was better than I had been expecting! :D

But the leaves mean nothing.........

I think it is certainly the case that all these convoluted strategies for maximising fuel efficiency have relatively little effect on the bottom line. On a trip as short as yours, the EV portion of the journey will be significant in the overall fuel consumption figures and you can afford to sit back and let it do its thing. Once the battery is flat, driving style becomes a lot more significant - if you drive a couple of hundred miles on motorways, you will see a significant difference in fuel economy between cruising at 50 and hacking along at over 80.

Another ECO leaves thread.

The only time I had 5 leaves recorded was at the end of a 300km open road relatively flat, with no traffic drive. My conclusion is the ECO leaves are bocum and only relate to how hard the brake and accelerator are used, so the only way to get all the leaves consistently is to not use either.

I got 5 leaves yesterday on a 10 mile hilly trip. Drove all electric (by turning off the heater - I'm in a GX3h). Also turned the radio off so I could enjoy the quietness without the kids :eek:) I drive quiet hard but my MPG was over 100mpg. So I suspect the heating and also electrical accessory usage may be a factor in determining efficiency?

Actually I don't know the exact mpg, as when the trip meter went past 99.9mpg it showed 'avg --.-mpg'. So Mitsi proclaim 148mph and but you have no idea what your mpg is when it surpasses 100mpg! Very poor software for a simple display readout. It reminds of Year 2000 when all the major computer systems had to be upgraded to cope with an extra date digit costing millions due to poor programming methods.

So it looks like Ill have to revert to the good old fashioned method of noting my mileage odometer at aech fill up and getting the calculater out. Hmmmmpphhh... but I am still on my first tank of fuel (half full after 250 miles) so that'll be another week or so.

I can guarantee 5 leaves just by using the cruise control for most of ANY journey - does not matter whether the cruise is at 20mph or 60mph.

I strongly believe that it is related to how often you press the accelerator pedal itself

CJ

Hi CJ,

the use of the cruise control does not guarantee 5 leaves. If there is any traffic, and speed and even power needs change quickly, then leaves will be lost. Constant power is the key, with only small if any changes. Hence my comment above.

steve2001 said:
Actually I don't know the exact mpg, as when the trip meter went past 99.9mpg it showed 'avg --.-mpg'. So Mitsi proclaim 148mph and but you have no idea what your mpg is when it surpasses 100mpg!
Hi,
Mitsubishi are aware of this bug but haven't been forthcoming with any further info yet. As a workaround, in settings change the units to any metric option then immediately back to UK MPG and the MMCS will then display the accurate MPG for both manual mode (which I use from last fillup) or auto mode which is reset when the car isn't used for over 4 hours.
I have seen as high as 1,420 UK MPG on a mostly EV journey but when the ICE ran fairly briefly and in manual mode it currently displays 221 UK MPG as I've used about half a tank and done about 1150 miles.

On a Gx3h I think the display is indeed limited to 99.9 as a maximum display but when the bug is fixed it should continue reading 99.9 when you exceed that number.

Kind regards,
Mark

When in Manual Mode - how does the car know to reset the MPG figure - is it based on the fuel level sensor detecting an increase in the level, or just opening the Fuel cap on the side of the car?

I was also looking for the distance trip log, ie can you reset the miles at the start of a journey, rather than only viewing total distance covered?

NeilP said:
When in Manual Mode - how does the car know to reset the MPG figure - is it based on the fuel level sensor detecting an increase in the level, or just opening the Fuel cap on the side of the car?

I was also looking for the distance trip log, ie can you reset the miles at the start of a journey, rather than only viewing total distance covered?

I don't think the car ever resets the figure for MPG in manual mode, does it? My understanding is that the figure is the cumulative value since you last reset it manually - in my case, since the car was delivered.

There are two odometers - by default, at least, they are reset manually by pressing and holding the display select button for the small information panel in the centre of the instrument display.

maby said:
NeilP said:

I don't think the car ever resets the figure for MPG in manual mode, does it? My understanding is that the figure is the cumulative value since you last reset it manually - in my case, since the car was delivered.

Correct. The manual MPG is reset using the reset button when manual mode is selected. As mentioned I reset this when ever I fillup so I get an average MPG since last fillup.

maby said:
There are two odometers - by default, at least, they are reset manually by pressing and holding the display select button for the small information panel in the centre of the instrument display.

Yes, I reset the A trip meter manually each day so I know how far I have travelled to help judge battery range. I reset the B trip number each time I fill up to give the miles since last refill.

Kind regards,
Mark

Back