12v Auxiliary Battery rapid discharge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My UK 2014 still has the original 12V battery.

Measured just now, 12.17V at 2 degrees C on the "jump start" terminal in the fuse box under the bonnet.
Well I've been checking around and apparently my 12.17V isn't very good, replacement is recommended when volts fall below 12.6 V........... :-<

Replaced that Aux battery with a yellow Optima YTR2.7BCID51R from Tanya UK for £163 + delivery.

The old one's voltage was even lower today, 11.73V at 6 degrees C.

I wonder how long I've been teetering on the cliff-edge of Failure to Launch ?

Replaced that Aux battery with a yellow Optima YTR2.7BCID51R from Tanya UK for £163 + delivery.

Yeah I did the same a few weeks back. Funny thing is...

The old one after a couple regen cycles on the CTek charger is doing fine. Plus the brand new battery drops down to 12v if the car isn't used for a week or so, seems the daily top-up charge just isn't up to the job as it doesn't run long enough to make up for the daily loss.

I guess if you were using your car frequently then at that low volts level it was a good thing to do, esp if it was the original from 2014. Unfortunately I don't need to use my 2018 PHEV more than once a week or so at the moment.

Have you had your drive batteries checked out at any time I have a 2014 model and thinking about it?

Hi. I've had my 2018 Outlander for a couple of years but only recently found this forum. I live in London so don't use the car very much. (I've only got the car because I need to trailer my veteran car to events a few times a year.) I've not (yet) had any issues with the aux battery but, because the car sits unused much of the time, I'm worried about the aux battery becoming discharged and not being able to start the car when I need it. Is it worth taking it out for a run, say once a week? If so, with 'charge' selected? (I tend to keep the traction batteries charged, if possible.) Any suggestions/experience welcome.

Hi. I've had my 2018 Outlander for a couple of years but only recently found this forum. I live in London so don't use the car very much. (I've only got the car because I need to trailer my veteran car to events a few times a year.) I've not (yet) had any issues with the aux battery but, because the car sits unused much of the time, I'm worried about the aux battery becoming discharged and not being able to start the car when I need it. Is it worth taking it out for a run, say once a week? If so, with 'charge' selected? (I tend to keep the traction batteries charged, if possible.) Any suggestions/experience welcome.
That's similar to what I noted tbh, left unused the 12v aux drops even tho it does the daily top-up. Plugging in to charge the main battery will charge the 12v, or take it for a run of 20+ mins which will give the 12v more of a charge. No need to hit charge tho, just having the car in ready will cause the 12v aux to be charged from the drive battery. Alternatively directly charge the 12v aux using a smart charger, connecting to the under bonnet jump start terminal or carry a 12v LiPo jump start battery to use if needed.

I can see why some get concerned if leaving the car unused for >2 weeks as by then the aux battery could well be down at 11.5v or less. After 10 days my new 12v aux was down to 12.2-11.8v, not ideal.

It's a good idea to have 20 minutes of driving or at least have the car in "READY" every 10 days. No need to use the Charge mode. The car is charging the 12V when you are in READY mode.

Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen. Very helpful. Some earlier posts on this subject talk about the aux battery being topped-up automatically every day if the WiFi is enabled. Presumably the car would need to be in 'ready' mode for this to happen, unless it is triggered by the dashboard clock?

Thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen. Very helpful. Some earlier posts on this subject talk about the aux battery being topped-up automatically every day if the WiFi is enabled. Presumably the car would need to be in 'ready' mode for this to happen, unless it is triggered by the dashboard clock?
No, the automatic top-up does not need the car to be in 'Ready' mode.

You can tell that your car is doing this if you hear faint beeping at 1 pm or 2 pm.

When you charge the traction battery the 12V battery gets charged as well.

Yours does???? I’ve got a U.K. model 2019 and can’t find the way to do that!
Thought that was a feature, it should be in the vehicle settings, probably via the infotainment screen, certainly in the remote control app. If the car stops seeing the keyfob it should self-lock after a minute or so depending on the setting. Both handy and annoying tho lol.

Never checked that this does when connected and charging however, as I lock it on the fob before walking away since it sits on the drive in front of the house.

I believe that works only if you unlock it and don't touch any doors in the 30second or 1 minute mark, whatever the setting is.

I will try it this week and let you know.

Back