2 or 3 timers per day?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phever

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but couldn't find it via the search. Does anyone else want to be able to use 2 timers in a single day? Currently you can only use 1 of the 3 timer profiles, but I would like to pre heat the car twice a day.

Personally speaking, I've only ever used the timer once and that was more by way of an experiment than anything else. I really cannot predict my movements for the following day with sufficient accuracy to be able to set the timer meaningfully, so I just drop in with the application on my smartphone once I know when I'm going to travel and turn on the heating for ten minutes. The timers seemed like a good idea when I was reading the sales brochure, but once you start to plan them, they rapidly seem to lose their attraction.

I can see that being the case for people with a random pattern. I have a train at 7.30 that gets me to work, and one home at 5.50. So I'm 99% going to be using the car at the same time of day, every weekday. When the Mercury plummets, as it has a few days already, I can see the car icing up overnight and during the day.

I admit it's difficult to use the timer due to the accuracy of when I'm going to use the car. I use it to at least make sure I have no ice to clean off from the windows. Let's see if it works well when the temp is dropping more also. Where the car is parked I cannot connect with the short distance WIFI and I would really like to connect over the GPRS to control the heater. Unfortunately I have not solved that yet.

EVkris said:
I admit it's difficult to use the timer due to the accuracy of when I'm going to use the car. I use it to at least make sure I have no ice to clean off from the windows. Let's see if it works well when the temp is dropping more also. Where the car is parked I cannot connect with the short distance WIFI and I would really like to connect over the GPRS to control the heater. Unfortunately I have not solved that yet.

Connecting over GPRS (or 3G) is difficult since the majority of mobile phone contracts do not support incoming network connections. I've wondered about the possibility of programming up a little single board computer such as a Raspberry Pi to poll out periodically looking for incoming commands and driving the car over the Wifi, but it will be a lot of work and Mitsubishi are not publishing any information about their control protocols to assist.

Phever said:
I can see that being the case for people with a random pattern. I have a train at 7.30 that gets me to work, and one home at 5.50. So I'm 99% going to be using the car at the same time of day, every weekday. When the Mercury plummets, as it has a few days already, I can see the car icing up overnight and during the day.

Surely then the answer is to use the timer for your journey home and manually heat in the morning :?:

greendwarf said:
Phever said:
Surely then the answer is to use the timer for your journey home and manually heat in the morning :?:
Or toggle between the timers when you park in the morning and back again at home at night? Bit of a faff I guess and if you're anything like me with catching trains you probably don't have any spare time at the car park in the morning though ;)

Yes, the design of the preconditioning system is very poor. I would like to heat my car before leaving work. I live in Sweden where snow and ice still is a reality even in these global warming times. Thanks at least they increased the timer from 10 minutes to 20 and 30.

puckernutter said:
Yes, the design of the preconditioning system is very poor. I would like to heat my car before leaving work. I live in Sweden where snow and ice still is a reality even in these global warming times. Thanks at least they increased the timer from 10 minutes to 20 and 30.

I think it works fine......with predictable travel times, I defrost for 10 mins on Timer 1 in the morning before heading off to work, then during that journey I switch to Timer 2, which will heat for 10 mins before I leave work in the evening.

Back