2014 Outlander PEHV with 120k km .. from Holand ... risks?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elm70

Hi,

I'm new here, I did read a lot of usefull information on this site .. congratulations to the forums and the users for it

As per the title ... I'm having available in my local market (Poland) a relative "cheap" Outlander PEHV ... but I have few concerns:
- 120k km in bit over 2 years is a lot ... but most probably these have been done on the motorway so with very little "wear out" for the car .. but ... anybody has an idea of motors life and extra maintenece to to high km (as well warranty impact that should be only 10y and 150k km) ?
- The car has been unsold for 4 to 6 months in Holand, till some Polish dealer decided to experiment the polish marktet ... any idea how much the car has been suffering on a long stay?

The used market here in Poland for Outlander PEHV is very limited (2 or 3 cars on sales now) .. and buy it new it has a crazy price here ... so ... not many choice for jump onm a Outlander PEHV

Thanks in advance

e_lm_70

PS: Some more info
- The charger/cable included in the car, it is "dead", it has been left exposed to elements and it has wasted electronic inside, still car is capable to charge, and dealer is going to supply a new one (no idea if he will supply and original or some compatible unit)
- Car apparently arrived with the 12v battery almost dead (not a bit cost to replace the 12v lead battery) .. but it is looking it was also sitting with the Lithium battery "discharged" ... but I guess, Outllander show the Lithium battery fully discharge when it is in reality only 25% capacity left ... fully discharge, but mainly keep it for long time fully discharged, it is a well known cause to reduce the life and also permanently damage Lithium battery
- Mitsubishi service, was not able to test the battery status, since battery was not fully charged and no fast charging cable was on the shop .. and so far dealer does not want to allow me to make the simple range test in the road (it would not take much fuel and time to charge the battery using the car engine) ... not sure if I should accept to sign any contract untill the battery status has been proven

Most Outlander PHEV's here, in the Netherlands, were leased cars as a result of a fiscal regime. Leasecars are usually well looked after in terms of maintenance. Most Dutch cars don't suffer too much: it's flat around here and most roads are in excellent condition.

It isn't hard to explain why "your" Outlander didn't sell in the Netherlands, because the market is flooding with those (ex lease cars) and fiscal benefits aren't that great when the cars isn't leased.

I would never buy this car without being able to check battery status, especially if the dealer is frustrating your attempts in trying to test it properly (what has he got to hide?).

Thanks Pancake,

Yes, I'm also not willing to close any deal untill I get a decent prove of battery status.

I have still few questions:
- 120k km sound already a lot .. but what do you belive is the life of the power train in this car ... battery normaly have the life more defined by time ... not much by km done ... electric engine should have very long life, and petrol engine in this car is used in mild way by "electronic".. and 120hp for a 2L .. sound a bullet proof design to me.

- Some details have rust .. I see some bolts in the engine bay .. and the metal hock that tight the hood .. that have some visible rust on the surface ... something to be afraid of ? normal for NL weather ?

Pancake said:
It isn't hard to explain why "your" Outlander didn't sell in the Netherlands, because the market is flooding with those (ex lease cars) and fiscal benefits aren't that great when the cars isn't leased.
Flooding will start only at the end of the year of even later as Outlanders have been on the market only since November 2013 and a typical leasing scheme is at least three years. Many PHEVs will be on longer schemes due to the fiscal benefits. An MY2014 Outlander still offers at least two years of 7% BIK (or even 0% if it is a 2013 registration), compared to 15% for a new car. So, it should be still attractive to a lot of people in the Netherlands.

Thanks

Maybe 120km in 2 years is making this car not interesting for any further leasing.

I did check the car, also fully inspected the status under, since it was in a special checking shop. Plus it has been to official Mitsubshi dealer for a check from the electronic point of view ... all is looking perfect .. no sign of any accident

Only thing that is left unknown is the battery condition ... but seller agreed to let me drive 40km with electric power as battery condition check, as soon as the new charging cable will arrive.

So .. actually I'm 99% going to get this car.

One question:

Warranty ... How many years and how many km are cover by Mitsubishi ? Not sure if I have any warranty by default (this car has been register first time in Holland on December 2013)

The seller is saying that paying somthing like 60/70 euro a year to Mistubishi, I can get a warranty up to 10 years and up to 300k km ... is this correct ?

Thanks

Mine is from November 2013. Warranty was 3 years or 100.000 km, whatever comes first. Except for EV drive train. This has a 5 year warranty of (don't know) km's.

When I bought the car, it was sold with the option of buying extended warranty (5 years). I would have to decide before 70.000 kms.
But later, the standard warranty got extended to 5 years for new cars. At that time Mitsu decided to cancel the option to extend the warranty per a certain date, but they did not inform me. So, when I tried to buy the extended warranty, I could not get it.

BTW: The BIK benefit is not just applicable to lease cars (as Pancake more or less suggests), but to any company car. I think there should be lots of small business owners, who do not have a lot of money to spend and would love to buy a pre-owned 2013 Outlander (even with 120k on the odometer), because there is no BIK at all for two more years.

Thanks for the info anko, so ... extend warranty is not possible then

Also, with your info about BIK ... Yes it is quite odd that this car in Poland have been sitting almost 6 months unsold in Holand ... maybe the asking price was to high at first .. but still ... it is "odd" ... even if it is looking relative common for Polish and other EU re-seller to get used car from Holland since it has often very convenint price.

Anyhow ... my polish re-seller look very confident about the good status of the car, and he said he got from a parter which does business with him since many many years

Anyhow ... if my 40km test in EV mode will fail ... I can still walk away without any charge

e_lm_70

ps: I was never so undecided and unsecure before when buying a car ... also I'm not very used to buy 2nd hand car (just had my weekend toy car that is an old BMW that I got 2nd hand ... else .. always got new cars in the past) .. clearly this could be my 1st Hybrid and my first Mistubishi ... still the potential saving in fuel I'm not even sure will cover the possible extra maintenance costs ...

Back