45K miles in 17 months

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergee

Guys just thought i would let you have my personal experience of running my PHEV for 17 months and having covered 45k.

I do around 30k ish miles per annum with work and got this due to the BIK and swapped over from an Audi A4 (Saves me approx £140 per month in tax). I have now got to love the vehicle but still find that there are a number of simple things that could be improved upon. I charge the car at least every night at home and when i stop on the motorway for a coffee and i'm getting on average 35 ish mpg.

Things I Like

I like the driving position:- I also find the seats relatively comfortable
Boot space:- Great for golf clubs
Seat covering:- I have the GX3h and like the leather/cloth
Tyre wear:- I have yet to replace the tyres, dealership wouldn't change them even after i asked them (lease vehicle)
Noise:- I do like its stealth like qualities
Back seat legroom

Thinks i don't like

Rear parking sensors:- they are not loud enough meaning you have to switch the radio off and ask the kids to be quiet
Wing Mirrors:- they are really poor in the rain
Eco mode:- I hate that this does relatively nothing, and you revert to normal on startup
MPG:- It annoys me that this resets (could be due to them not wanting you to see a long term MPG)
Phone interface:- Very clunky and gets most things wrong "call Home".....it says " Dial 085..." etc.
Fuel tank size:- Doing so many miles means i spend a significant amount of my time at the petrol station
Automatic wipers:- well they are automatic when they feel like it, sometimes the screen is almost opaque with rain before they decide to come on.
Dashboard+radio:- The dash looks old fashioned and the radio should be digital (small point i know)
Miles remaining indication:- goes from around 35 to nothing remaining
Heater:- I dislike that no matter how small your journey the engine has to be running to get heat in the cab.
I also dislike the way is screams its lungs out when going up a very steep hill.

l have another 18 months to go on the lease and to be honest if it wasn't for the BIK advantage i would not hesitate in going back to an Audi. The BIK rate will be 9% by the time it goes back so I will obviously be looking around...

I agree. I don't drive that long, so for me the arguments are in favour for a PHEV, but if the battery capacity was doubled, the tank was larger, and the exhaust system was better designed and sounding better (and not stinking), it would outcompete every alternative.

The dashboard and the other display could need some better design. I think all carmakers make crazy-ugly digital designs. They should look at clock makers instead of trying to look like a throwup from KITT.

While at it. The car should be about 30 cm wider to look good and allow a baby seat + two passangers in the back.

Btw. The Eco mode makes somewhat difference when there is an electrical heater installed, as it prevents the petrol engine to start for a few more degrees...

Fergee said:
MPG:- It annoys me that this resets (could be due to them not wanting you to see a long term MPG)

There are two MPG registers (Manual & Auto) so my manual register shows l/100km since new, and auto just the most recent trip. Do you mean something different to this?
Otherwise, good review as there are a few niggles, "Eco" & "miles remaining" would be near the top for me.

zzcoopej said:
Fergee said:

There are two MPG registers (Manual & Auto) so my manual register shows l/100km since new, and auto just the most recent trip. Do you mean something different to this?
Otherwise, good review as there are a few niggles, "Eco" & "miles remaining" would be near the top for me.

Where do you see manual?

Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys...I would also be interested in seeing the manual mpg, is there some way in which to see this?

Just another small niggle is that when talking on the phone it only comes out of the passenger front speaker..... no doubt a throw back to the car being a left hand drive originally.

Does anyone with a new one know how many of these niggles have been ironed out in the facelift model?

piam said:
Where do you see manual?

When on the MMCS "5 Leaf" screen (%EV driving circle etc), on the right side there is about 5 numbers including MPG. In the bottom left of that screen there is a button named "AUTO" or "MANUAL". Its probably set to AUTO if you've never touched it. Switch to MANUAL and it shows the figure since last reset, AUTO is just the current trip (including resuming the trip within 4 hours of stopping)

Fergee said:
Thanks for your replies guys...I would also be interested in seeing the manual mpg, is there some way in which to see this?

Just another small niggle is that when talking on the phone it only comes out of the passenger front speaker..... no doubt a throw back to the car being a left hand drive originally.

Does anyone with a new one know how many of these niggles have been ironed out in the facelift model?
Nope- on a left hand drive car the voice comes out of the passenger speaker as well. And the car is a right hand drive originally. In Japan they drive on the wrong side of the road, just like the UK...

jaapv said:
Fergee said:

Nope- on a left hand drive car the voice comes out of the passenger speaker as well. And the car is a right hand drive originally. In Japan they drive on the wrong side of the road, just like the UK...

I assumed this was intentional to prevent feedback on phone calls. It seems to work very well in my experience.

Back