4wd - Open differential on the front and rear axles??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simonrh said:
Even a defender doesn't have cross axle diff locks as standard I dont think.
Has a centre diff lock but this could still get defeated by having opposing wheels in the air.
GWagen does and a bunch of 4x4s have a rear LSD or difflock which would nudge you forward enough in the situation above.

Old ones didn't and I can't speak for the current generation, but our mid-nineties 110 Defender came from the factory with controllable locks on the centre and rear diffs. The other big difference from the Outlander is a massive axle articulation - it takes a hell of a drop to even need the diff locks.

Interestingly, that 110 Station Waggon was the most Congestion Charge exempt private vehicle in existence - it was legally a bus. We had to pay £10 each year for the exemption on the Prius, but the Defender was automatically exempt.

When you watch that Freelander cross-axle you see that was soon as a third wheel touches, the 4th is braked using the traction control as it works it out.

I always assumed that had at least one locking axle or something that did it electronically. Even my 2002 L322 had locking centre and rear.

You learn something every day! Thank you.

Back