Acceleration time (2 seconds less?)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozukus said:
You need to adjust your calcs as a 225/55/R18 tyre has a circumference of very slightly over 7.6 feet.

Cheers

Ozukus

Please check your sources - I still get 7.26 feet or 2213.88 mm or 87.161 inches. I have shown how I worked it out, maybe you could show me where I went wrong.

ian4x4 said:
I am extremely impressed by the calculations, it takes me back to my schooldays.
Unfortunately it gets even more complicated these days, as these basic figures are modified by the control programming/electronics
which did not exist in those analogue days. I just had to learn the maths which controlled all the allowable parameters (including the maximum rates of change)

The brochure says the power and 0-60 stays the same, most commentators say the step-off improvement is system led.

I am determined to keep things simple, so please can someone answer the question below, or

I agree with Anko, I cannot understand the quote of 2 secs off 0 - 25mph, but 0 - 60 remains the same as before. (where did all that extra speed/time go?)

I know what you are saying, but I have worked out the figures on the physical parameters, which are a given and cannot be changed - rates of charge etc we're not included, my post was just about a possible explanation for differences between the new and old model.

Grigou said:
Neverfuel said:
But it might be possible if the primary and secondary reduction gears have been altered in the new model. This would give a faster acceleration and / or a higher top end speed.

No they don't. Same specs ;)

Is there access to a document which tells us that the gear ratios are the same, in which case there can be no change between the models in terms of speed or acceleration apart from engine remapping.

But guys, it is just a facelift. Typically just some retouched plastic exterior panels, perhaps different lamp glasses, interior trim changes and that is it.

I can hardly imagine they actually changed any serious hardware.

anko said:
But guys, it is just a facelift. Typically just some retouched plastic exterior panels, perhaps different lamp glasses, interior trim changes and that is it.

+1

jaapv said:
anko said:

+1

Which is exactly my point. I don't think for 2 seconds that the car has been improved by 2 seconds!

Neverfuel said:
jaapv said:
anko said:

+1

Which is exactly my point. I don't think for 2 seconds that the car has been improved by 2 seconds!

OK. Question answered then: the two seconds off claim is rubbish. :)

Pancake said:
OK. Question answered then: the two seconds off claim is rubbish. :)

I'm not sure it is. I have done some very crude runs to check the 0-60 time on the MY16 and I think it's around (or less than) 9 seconds so the 11 seconds claimed time is very conservative. I will try and do something more controlled/scientific and post the results.

One thing is for sure though, the changes made on the new version are a lot more than "some retouched plastic exterior panels".

jaapv said:
The car has always been considerably faster than 11 seconds.

Agreed. What this video (and others on youtube) clearly shows though is the delay between applying power and the car moving. This has definitely been improved on the new model. So it may depend whether you start the clock when the accelerator is pressed or when the wheels start moving but in real-world driving surely the important thing is how quickly the car responds when you are trying to set off.

I bet he could have shaved nearly a second off that if the timer started when the power was actually applied, and he had pressed the charge button before he set off to have the engine running (assuming he was below 80% SOC).

DazzyB said:
jaapv said:

Agreed. What this video (and others on youtube) clearly shows though is the delay between applying power and the car moving. This has definitely been improved on the new model. So it may depend whether you start the clock when the accelerator is pressed or when the wheels start moving but in real-world driving surely the important thing is how quickly the car responds when you are trying to set off.
Rather unlikely, as the delay is caused by the engine starting up, which cannot be different on the new model. Pressing "charge" beforehand solves the problem, as I posted before.

It is interesting to note that MMC have kept the same top end and acceleration figures on the new facelift model, but have got a better mpg figure 156 vs 148, and a better emissions figure 42 vs 44. If they haven't changed any parts on the car, how is that possible? Have they just changed the engine timing?

I did post this in one of the other sub-forums as I stumbled upon in the other day. It basically lists everything included in the 'facelift' - most certainly not just trim and new nose... the car has some structural changes, sound-deadening added and some powertrain tweaks

http://www.mitsubishi-motors-at-2015-frankfurt-motor-show.com/Files/Documents/EN/New%20Outlander%20MY16%20-%20EU%20kit.pdf

From this, they say "the stand-start acceleration and drivetrain response have been improved after revising the plug-in hybrid electric and motor control systems". So sounds like a software tweak.

Back