Accuracy Of Digital Battery Display

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruckman65

I have a 2014 model. Once fully charged, the battery shows a range of anywhere from 35km to 39km. After driving for 1km, this drops to about 20km. After a further 5km, it's down to about 5km and, after around another 1km or 2km, it shows 1%. So, I wonder if the display is accurate or if it is a reflection of how much the battery has degraded. Is there a means by which the health of the battery can accurately be determined?

It was always referred to add the guessometer and never was more than a rough indication. Towards the end of its life, my 2014 PHEV behaved pretty much the same - the initial indication was grossly over optimistic and dropped off rapidly when I started driving.

Martin

It was always referred to add the guessometer and never was more than a rough indication. Towards the end of its life, my 2014 PHEV behaved pretty much the same - the initial indication was grossly over optimistic and dropped off rapidly when I started driving.

Martin
Thank you, Martin. In your experience then, do you feel that, when the battery reported at, say, 1%, that may have been a reasonable estimate?

I have a favourite story about these 'guessometers'...

My brother towed a trailer carrying a huge water tank out into the country. Naturally that seriously reduced the instantaneous mileage of his car.

All the way home, his guessometer kept increasing the range remaining as if petrol was being magically added to his tank.

:)

All they can meaningfully do is guess, based on what is happening this instant, and what happened on recent drives, what may happen in the future.

My wildest result happened the day after a journey where the second half the journey was entirely down hill to my house (I live near the coast, and am only 16 metres above sea level).

The next day, after a full charge, the guessometer cheerfully expected that I could do 80km on that charge. (30 is a more reasonable expectation for my car).

The only way you can tell what the range is for your car, is to charge it up, note the mileage, and then drive on electric until it hits 'zero' and starts the engine. Note that you'll have to drive carefully, so that you don't start the engine accidentally by stomping on the accelerator.

Everything reduces the range of the car, i.e. increased load, heater/air-con, box on the roof, windows open, high speed, towing a trailer, adding a spoiler, sticking brakes, aggressive stop/start.

BTW I've noticed that my guessometer gets more pessimistic, if I recharge before getting to 'zero' on the meter.

(zero in quotes, because it is not real zero, it's zero in the range of charge that we're allowed to use.)

I have a favourite story about these 'guessometers'...

My brother towed a trailer carrying a huge water tank out into the country. Naturally that seriously reduced the instantaneous mileage of his car.

All the way home, his guessometer kept increasing the range remaining as if petrol was being magically added to his tank.

:)

All they can meaningfully do is guess, based on what is happening this instant, and what happened on recent drives, what may happen in the future.

My wildest result happened the day after a journey where the second half the journey was entirely down hill to my house (I live near the coast, and am only 16 metres above sea level).

The next day, after a full charge, the guessometer cheerfully expected that I could do 80km on that charge. (30 is a more reasonable expectation for my car).

The only way you can tell what the range is for your car, is to charge it up, note the mileage, and then drive on electric until it hits 'zero' and starts the engine. Note that you'll have to drive carefully, so that you don't start the engine accidentally by stomping on the accelerator.

Everything reduces the range of the car, i.e. increased load, heater/air-con, box on the roof, windows open, high speed, towing a trailer, adding a spoiler, sticking brakes, aggressive stop/start.

BTW I've noticed that my guessometer gets more pessimistic, if I recharge before getting to 'zero' on the meter.

(zero in quotes, because it is not real zero, it's zero in the range of charge that we're allowed to use.)
Nice story. Thanks, AndyInOz. Your suggestion of running it on electric until the motor kicks in may be the best way to determine 'actual' range.

I have a 2014 model. Once fully charged, the battery shows a range of anywhere from 35km to 39km. After driving for 1km, this drops to about 20km. After a further 5km, it's down to about 5km and, after around another 1km or 2km, it shows 1%. So, I wonder if the display is accurate or if it is a reflection of how much the battery has degraded. Is there a means by which the health of the battery can accurately be determined?
I have a 2019 which has a similar battery. The battery show on the dashboard is just an estimate of how far you can go. I live in a area about 400 vertical FT above town. When I leave for shopping I actually gain Km on the indicator even though I have driven 6 km.

Coming home car shows 10 km but going up the hill it uses all the battery in only 4 km.
you might get 35km if you are driving on a flat road in B0.
The dealer has a service that can check battery health but it requires an overnight stay at the dealer,

I have a 2019 which has a similar battery. The battery show on the dashboard is just an estimate of how far you can go. I live in a area about 400 vertical FT above town. When I leave for shopping I actually gain Km on the indicator even though I have driven 6 km.

Coming home car shows 10 km but going up the hill it uses all the battery in only 4 km.
you might get 35km if you are driving on a flat road in B0.
The dealer has a service that can check battery health but it requires an overnight stay at the dealer,
Thanks for the advice, evman77.

Back