adjust suspension - harsh ride

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claymore said:
As the "man on the Clapham Omnibus" (my post code is SW4) my services are available at very unreasonable rates :lol:

For our non-UK members, it simply means the ordinary man on the street. It was introduced as an example in a trial in Britain in 1933 - although the phrase is older. Presumably though only dating back to the introduction of the Clapham bus service!

It does now have a definite legal meaning. A contract between two software suppliers could be expected to have more detailed and complex terms than one with a regular member of the public. So a typical EULA might be ruled unreasonable when "Would this be understandable by the man on the Clapham omnibus" is the test.

When it was first used, Clapham was a lower middle class (in modern terms) area of London in commuting distance to the city (financial district) so users of the omnibus would mainly be clerks, junior office workers etc. So the test was actually pretty specific to somebody who was somewhat educated, could read and write but wasn't a professional lawyer/accountant/stockbroker.

Since then London property prices mean that the man on the Clapham omnibus now almost certainly IS a professional lawyer/accountant/stockbroker.

p.s. the photo is Kenny Everett who did a parody of The Man on the Clapham Omnibus and it was called "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" where he complained of anything and everything and then turned around and walked off in a cut-away suit.

jthspace said:
Since then London property prices mean that the man on the Clapham omnibus now almost certainly IS a professional lawyer/accountant/stockbroker.

Whilst its is true about property prices there are still significant social housing estates in Clapham (I know I am surrounded by one!) and outside Central London only the poor, infirm, mother's with buggies & children use the buses (except the all-night ones after a drunken evening "up West"). So these days, the "man" is likely to be working class, black & an immigrant (although probably still well educated, if the last) :oops:

jthspace p.s. the photo is Kenny Everett who did a parody of The Man on the Clapham Omnibus and it was called "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" where he complained of anything and everything and then turned around and walked off in a cut-away suit.[/quote said:
As a fan of Kenny Everett's humour I have no recollection of 'disgusted......' being a parody of the of The Man on the Clapham Omnibus' and if it was I fail to see the connection even though it matters not one jot to anyone.

JimB

Claymore said:
jthspace p.s. the photo is Kenny Everett who did a parody of The Man on the Clapham Omnibus and it was called "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" where he complained of anything and everything and then turned around and walked off in a cut-away suit.[/quote said:
As a fan of Kenny Everett's humour I have no recollection of 'disgusted......' being a parody of the of The Man on the Clapham Omnibus' and if it was I fail to see the connection even though it matters not one jot to anyone.

JimB

You're right. "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" was coined long before Kenny used him and refers to the assumed typical writer of complaining letters to newspapers (esp. The Times or Telegraph, hence the City Gent garb) - having a rant about usually trivial matters. The modern equivalent appears in Private Eye's outrageous but frighteningly accurate "From The Message Boards" spoof of Internet dialogue (which would include this forum :lol: )

Getting back to the subject.

Quote Nick Rufford in the Sunday Times Driving Section on Sunday 17 Jan 16 in an article comparing the Outlander PHEV, the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron and the Toyota Prius (2016 models). On the Outlander he summed it up as the best of the three, but, quote:

“There are a couple of drawbacks, though. First, it’s heavy: the kerb weight is -omitted-----etc etc. Second, in upgrading the PHEV, Mitsubishi made the classic error of consulting focus groups. The result is that, as well as cosmetic changes such as wider LED rear lights, the suspension has been tightened to the point of discomfort. It jars on speed bumps, and over potholes you risk losing fillings. A mistake, but — if you’re listening, Mitsubishi — it’s not too late to put it right”.

So if you have a 2016 facelift that is probably why. If yours is a pre-2016 model then you might think twice on upgrading to find an improvement. I have a UK 64 Reg PHEV and yes it is better than my previous 2.2 Diamond Diesel 08 Reg Outlander, but it doesn’t compare to the best I have owned which was a Citroen CX 2400 Pallas in the late 1970's early 1980's.

I had a prefacelift car for a 3 day demo, I prefer the handling of the 2016 facelift, reminds me very much of driving my '86 SRi Cavalier though a tad slower.

Back