Alarm on new PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

This might be very Netherlands-specific, but here goes.

I have bought a new PHEV and will pick it up next Monday. While doing some research into insuring it, it seems that the basic security system that comes with it - a 'class 1' immobiliser - is not sufficient for most insurance companies, who refuse to insure it for theft unless it has at least a class 3 or sometimes 4.

I find it hard to believe that a dealer can sell a brand new car for 50k without actually having enough security gubbins to insure it, and they will happily accept another grand to install a class 3 alarm. I have found some other companies who will install one for €650 (the one I'm talking to right now is autotec.nl).

I'm just wondering what other people's experiences are with this? Did you pay to have it fitted at the dealership? Or can you recommend somewhere else that can install the class 3/4/5 alarm that is required by the insurers?

Cheers,
Dave

Certainly not a problem in Britain - my insurers covered me with a standard specification GX4 for a premium of around £250 which was less than for the Prius it replaced. I can't imagine that we get higher spec security than the rest of Europe as standard.

As has been observed before, PHEVs are in demand in Russia and a car stolen in Holland can be halfway there before anyone notices. Removal from the UK is more complex.

Not a problem for me - I switched to Mitsubishi's own insurance and for them a Cobra was enough. My own insurer was indeed going on about a class 4 one, which I don't want. I am not buying a road-tax free car and paying a subscription for a tracking system that only benefits the insurer. Despite that the insurer was willing to subsidize most of the price of the alarm system.
Consult your dealer. I do have a Bearlock fitted which I use when parking in dodgy areas.

Mine does seem to have an alarm, as I found out the other day.

I came back from shopping, unloaded the boot, and pulled the cargo cover over. Went indoors & put shopping away.

About 15mins later I heard a 'peeping' and looked out to see the indicators flashing.

Went outside to inspect, the only thing I could see wrong was the cargo cover had come unhooked and retracted to the back seats.

I assume this is what caused the alarm to trigger.

So good to know it works.

jaapv said:
Not a problem for me - I switched to Mitsubishi's own insurance and for them a Cobra was enough. My own insurer was indeed going on about a class 4 one, which I don't want. I am not buying a road-tax free car and paying a subscription for a tracking system that only benefits the insurer. Despite that the insurer was willing to subsidize most of the price of the alarm system.
Consult your dealer. I do have a Bearlock fitted which I use when parking in dodgy areas.
My dealer won't budge on the 1000 euro to fit a class 3 Cobra :( They claim that it costs them 700 to buy the device and the rest is for installation. But Autotec will fit the same alarm for 650 including installation on-location.

Interesting what you say about Mitsubishi's own insurance - was this done through your dealer or did you contact them another way?

Dave

Back