Any precautions to take for winter driving?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamusj

I'll be driving my MY16 in Cairngorms in a couple of weeks and would like to be prepared for winter high altitude driving. I wondered if anyone has any advice for driving the PHEV Outlander in these conditions, i.e. High altitude zero or low degree centigrade.

Any practical suggestion would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!

Just one: fit winter tyres if slippery conditions are to be expected. Not only does the car provide superior grip with them, it makes it a lot easier to control two tonnes slithering downhill.

Nothing PHEV specific at any temperature that you are going to find in the UK - just drive it as you would drive any car of a similar size and weight. There are special considerations associated with the hybrid system when you get down to temperatures around minus 30 and below but you are not going to meet them in Britain.

jaapv said:
fit winter tyres if slippery conditions are to be expected.
I'm sure that's sage advice, but in the UK you're looking at £600-£1,000 for a full set. which is a bit pricey for a couple of weeks' holiday. If you lived in the Alps or Scandinavia and expected to be driving on snow for several months of the year, that would be a different matter.

You'll only be using one set at a time and saving your summer tyres October to April. If you need new every two years the investment should be the same over four years. Driving in Germany leaves no choice anyway.

Thanks all. I will invest in some winter tyres before I drive to the Alps next year. For this Scotland trip, I guess the Outlander is good "Straight out of the box" then :)

jaapv said:
You'll only be using one set at a time and saving your summer tyres October to April. If you need new every two years the investment should be the same over four years. Driving in Germany leaves no choice anyway.

Thats true, but like many others my vehicle is leased through a company car scheme, with the low Benefit in Kind tax being a major attraction for company car drivers in the UK. If i was to invest in a set of winter tyres I'd be paying for it myself, whereas any normal tyres which need replaced are covered by the lease scheme. On that basis, the significant additional cost for winter tyres is simply not justified over here, although I appreciate it may be different for those on the Continent.

Shamusj said:
I'll be driving my MY16 in Cairngorms in a couple of weeks and would like to be prepared for winter high altitude driving. I wondered if anyone has any advice for driving the PHEV Outlander in these conditions, i.e. High altitude zero or low degree centigrade.

Many thanks!

Where about are you headed?

There's a CHAdeMO charger in Aviemore which is on the CYC network. Car park costs 50p for 4 Hours IIRC.

Most of the snow is melting. The roads are clear, there's not a lot of snow left at the Lecht, there is more at Cairngorm.

onlynik said:
Shamusj said:

Many thanks!

Where about are you headed?

There's a CHAdeMO charger in Aviemore which is on the CYC network. Car park costs 50p for 4 Hours IIRC.

Most of the snow is melting. The roads are clear, there's not a lot of snow left at the Lecht, there is more at Cairngorm.

We're doing the southern part of the "North Coast 500" but will also be driving through the Applecross and Aberfeldy -> Dalwhinnie peaks.

Shamusj said:
We're doing the southern part of the "North Coast 500" but will also be driving through the Applecross and Aberfeldy -> Dalwhinnie peaks.

Some stunning photos here http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/latesttorridon16.htm

onlynik said:
Shamusj said:

Some stunning photos here http://www.stevecarter.com/latest/latesttorridon16.htm

Wow, these photos are amazing. Did you take these yourself earlier this year? I wonder if there will be any snow for my trip in two weeks (my pictures will not look as good :roll:)

Shamusj said:
Wow, these photos are amazing. Did you take these yourself earlier this year? I wonder if there will be any snow for my trip in two weeks (my pictures will not look as good :roll:)

Sadly not me, just someone I am aware of, who takes awesome photos of the Applecross area.

I've not been up there in a while, but there'll probably be snow on the hill top at least.

Back