anyone extended a charging lead

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmac

has any one extended the supplied 13amp plug charging lead i.e. added cable to it ?

i need another 2 meters fort absolute ease of use and thinking about splicing it in with suitable connectors - what type / rate of cable is it ? anyone done it ?

Jimmac said:
has any one extended the supplied 13amp plug charging lead i.e. added cable to it ?

i need another 2 meters fort absolute ease of use and thinking about splicing it in with suitable connectors - what type / rate of cable is it ? anyone done it ?

Why not just buy a heavy duty waterproof 13amp extension lead from Screwfix - then you can use it for other things as well :D

Look at the first comment/review on this link.
The heavy duty 10m extension (without reel) was bought and used to charge a hybrid car.
His comment reminds us that a spool needs to be fully extended if used near maximum capacity.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-1g-240v-10m/44635

I bought a Type 1 Extension Cable from EVCables, http://www.evcables.co.uk/29/Type-1-Extension-Cables

Works very well and good customer support.

what i want to do is extend the 13 amp plug lead so that my wife can park the car more easily on the drive and leave space for the kids etc to get past to garage and move bikes, lawnmowers past without threatening the soft pain on the car and make it easier to get plugged in a work

Jimmac said:
what i want to do is extend the 13 amp plug lead so that my wife can park the car more easily on the drive and leave space for the kids etc to get past to garage and move bikes, lawnmowers past without threatening the soft pain on the car and make it easier to get plugged in a work

I don't use my brick charger, I have an 32Amp house EV charger but the charger was installed on the nearside outside wall and the car inlet of course is on the offside. My extension Type 1 cable is permanently installed and locked in place via a clamping U-Bolt.

If you got a standard extension lead than the brick charger would be easy to steal + you'd need a waterproof enclosure for the connection. Your brick charger would be at risk of being stolen.

Others have taken the brick charger apart and replace the cable going to the 13 amp plug but apparently it's very very tough to get into and isn't easy to reassemble and retain it's waterproof IP rating. Of course this'd void the warranty as well.

Your options as I see it are:
1. Purchase a second brick charger that has a longer captive cable
2. Purchase a Type 1 extension cable
3. Use a standard extension lead and a waterproof enclosure

Jimmac said:
I dont really want to cart an extension lead about with me when all i need is a 2m length

If this is a real obstacle, buy the extension cable as suggested cut it to length and re-attach the 3 pin plug - that way you get the waterproof connector and the correct rated cable. Most of the value/cost is in the connectors & labour making it, rather than the cable itself. :)

I will cut the main cable and add the new length in the middle of the main cable. I will use proper water tight connectors for the joins. Expect to do it all for £ 30 including all costs.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried it

For charging at my mother's and mother-in-law's I use an extension cable with an IP56 socket on it. It also has an in-line RCD for a bit more peace of mind. The cable is 3 x 1.5 mm2 artic blue outdoor grade cable. The brick only charges at 10 A so a 1.5 mm2 cable that is rated up to 16 A is OK provided it is not too long i.e. less than 10 m, so your 2 m extension is well within its capacity.

Jimmac said:
I will cut the main cable and add the new length in the middle of the main cable. I will use proper water tight connectors for the joins. Expect to do it all for £ 30 including all costs.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried it

Why do two cuts - just cut off the plug and add a single connection with the plug wired back on the end - and at greater cost than an extension lead :roll:

i intend that the brick will stay in the wall mounted box i have at home, so dont want to extend the plug end which is the easier option but doesnt suit

In that case try to find a Type 1 to Type 1 extension lead. I would not tamper with the connections on the brick at all.

Jimmac said:
i intend that the brick will stay in the wall mounted box i have at home, so dont want to extend the plug end which is the easier option but doesnt suit

So you don't carry the brick around with you to charge when out and about - bizarre :?:

Back