Average Fuel Consumption Display GX3H

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazter76

Im trying to decipher the manual on this. On previous cars in which ive had trip computers, generally there was two measures of MPG. The live mpg, ie as you are driving on that trip. Sometimes it would be an instantly live, and sometimes it would be an average consumption over the last few miles. And then you would have an overall mpg.

Either options you could reset, or flick between at will. In the same way you flick between trip A and trip B, and can reset whenever you wish. Reading the manual, it seems that the average mpg on the phev exists in two modes, auto reset and manual reset.

You need to park the vehicle and change this setting within the setup menu between auto and manual.

As i said, im having difficulty understanding. I would 'assume', that the auto option would reset every time the car was switched off and on, with you been able to reset it at will by holding down button. But this is not the case, it takes about four hours of rest, and then it resets. The manual mode, would sound like that long term average mpg that doesnt get reset. But then the in the user manual it says that the car defaults back to auto reset mode when the car is switched to off mode.

In this context, i fail to see what the difference is between the two, unless both figures are actually independent of each other. But why default back to auto? And why require the car to be in park to change?

The auto mode resets automatically after 4 hours of parking, or when you tell it to. This is why it is called Auto.
The manual mode does not reset automatically, but only when you tell it to. This is why it is called Manual.

Resetting can be done by holding the "Page" button (the button you use to page through different screens) for longer time while looking at the fuel consumption screen. Which of the two measurement (A or M) you reset depends on which one you are looking at.

When reading my (Dutch) manual, it seems that the setting you refer to only affects what is displayed in ACC mode. So, in the default setting, before you start you yourney you can see and reset the "lifetime" average. As soon as you switch from ACC to ON, you see and can reset the "trip" average. Not a bad solution imho.

BTW: In MMCS equipped models, you can change between the two measurements while driving, by means of the MMCS gui.

Right, so the visibility of the manual mpg only shows up in acc?

Have we all been spoilt with good intuitive software design from the likes of google and apple? Its really just, well crap. I notice there's no track information for streamed bluetooth audio in the car head unit

In the tester GX4h car even the MMC was cheap low res and tacky.

gazter76 said:
Have we all been spoilt with good intuitive software design from the likes of google and apple? Its really just, well crap. I notice there's no track information for streamed bluetooth audio in the car head unit

Already during your test drive you noticed it is all crap. And still you bought an Outlander? Sounds rather silly :roll:

anko said:
gazter76 said:

Already during your test drive you noticed it is all crap. And still you bought an Outlander? Sounds rather silly :roll:

No, i like the vehicle, its this software that is poor. Im not a fanboy. It isnt all or nothing. The software would be classed as pretty rubbish even on the most budget of vehicles.

Given the impenetrability of Outlander mpg interpretation I'm going back to the old school of a notebook and long division (or a calculator if I'm feeling frisky). Seems to be working Ok so far.

I agree with the poster above, I am not a fan of the softwAre but still love the vehicle.

I can understand that you may not agree with the presentation, but what's wrong with the actual figures?

I haven't reset my lifetime mpg yet and it appears to be extremely accurate (less that 2 - 3% deviation compared to my spreadsheet over 14 months / 28000 km).

Its awkward, its not intuitive, and not very helpful, also the way it cant manage three figure average MPGs is bizarrely ironic considering the 148mpg quoted figures that feature in the spec of the vehicle.

I can imagine that not being able to display better mileage than 99,9 could be a problem to some (fortunately, we use either l/100 km or km/l over here and don't have an issue either way), but how can a naked figure be "awkward" or "not intuitive"? What is awkward or not intuitive about mpg?

Ive found out there is track information for streamed bluetooth audio, you just need to toggle with the disp button.

gazter76 said:
Its awkward, its not intuitive, and not very helpful, also the way it cant manage three figure average MPGs is bizarrely ironic considering the 148mpg quoted figures that feature in the spec of the vehicle.

Really, once you get over 100mpg, the figures become rather academic. The best it can do on petrol is around 45mpg - you will see people here claiming 300, 400, 500mpg - these figures are not taking into account the electricity consumption, so they are meaningless. The fuel consumption figure on the display does not take electricity consumption into account - if you never do more than 10 miles in a day and live in a warm place like southern Spain, it could easily turn in infinite mpg on that display.

If it says "__._" then feel smug - you're doing well!

Not really sure what my accurate MPG is, but in two months of driving (in the winter) I've reduced my £160 pcm diesel bill, to a £30 pcm petrol bill.
Now just to wait for the electricity bill!!!! (However even then, I'm doing a lot of charging at free public charge points.

With a current cost of £1.08 per litre, and an average best pure EV range of 28 miles at the moment then the best equivalent MPG I can obtain based on a 9.9 pence per KWh electricity charge is 126 MPG.

£1.08 per litre x 4.55 = £4.90 per gallon

11KW avg full charge * 9.9 pence = £1.09 per charge equaling 28 miles

£4.91 / £1.09 = 4.5 charges per gallon cost equivalent

4.5 charges x 28 best EV range = 126 MPG equivalent.

Back