Battery cooling system

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esparza

Now with the summer I have some doubts about the cooling system:

1-When the car is On with the "Ready" indicator on the dashboard or connected to a CHAdeMO charger the cooling system starts to work when one cell reaches 35ºC (at least this is what I've observed). But with the car Off and slow charging I've seen some cells reaching 38ºC and the cooling system doesn't start to work. Is the activation point higher, or it will never start the AC compresor when slow charging? If it never starts the compressor, will it stop charge or something if it reaches for example 40ºC or other limit?

2-When driving and the cooling system starts to work the difference between the hottest and the coldest cell inceases a lot, and always same cells. Someone else with the same behavior? Can it be due to the distance between the cells and the evaporator, or maybe a sensor that doesn't touch properly the coldest cell? Here you have a pic.

2hd396a.png

3-Related to the second question. When car in "Ready" and the hottest cell reaches 32ºC the AC compressor stops, but due to the big temperature diference the battery fan doesn't stops trying to reduce that gap (someties up to 15ºC). But if you stop the car and start slow charge the fan doesn't work. I don't see any reason to remain stop even more if it works at 12V. Any ideas? Your cars have same behavior? Here you have a pic. (The fan scale is on reverse, 100% is stop and 0% is full power).

2e16jgx.png

Finally say that even with 40ºC of ambient temperature and the battery working really hard on the highway (regenerating up to 50kW and 120 kmh) the system does its mission and the hottest cell doesn't go over 36ºC.

Regards!

Esparza said:
the difference between the hottest and the coldest cell increases a lot, and always same cells. Someone else with the same behavior? Can it be due to the distance between the cells and the evaporator, or maybe a sensor that doesn't touch properly the coldest cell?

Sorry I can't help you very much answering your questions, however iMiEV owners have observed similar things in that there are hot spots in the battery pack so it makes sense that the PHEV would also show cells in a particular area being hotter.

Back