Before Making the Plunge...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anko said:
generaltso said:
greendwarf said:
I assume that in the US, the standard "brick" plugs into a domestic socket as on this side of the pond

It does, but standard plugs here are only 120v, so it charges VERY slowly. I haven’t even taken mine out of the trunk.
Isn't that not just a matter of installing a 240v plug and putting it in a 240v socket?
(note the question-mark ;) )

The US version of the Mitsubishi brick may support 240v with an adapter, but I’m not sure anyone has tried it. But the original statement was that the OP may be able to charge at work by just plugging into a regular domestic socket. That would work, but would be slow. The chances of him finding a socket wired for 240v would be pretty slim.

OK, but assuming he is at work for a "normal" 8 hours then he could still get a useful charge to about 80%.

greendwarf said:
OK, but assuming he is at work for a "normal" 8 hours then he could still get a useful charge to about 80%.

I guess that’s true. But I still stand by my statement that he’s not going to see the efficiency he’s hoping for with the length of his commute, even if he can get a full charge at work.

generaltso said:
greendwarf said:

I guess that’s true. But I still stand by my statement that he’s not going to see the efficiency he’s hoping for with the length of his commute, even if he can get a full charge at work.

Indeed - even with two charges per day, he would be very hard pressed to achieve the sort of running costs he seems to be looking for. He's got a trip of more than 70 miles in each direction and those miles are at motorway speeds more or less. The PHEV EV range begins to fall off fairly sharply as you approach 70mph - and the petrol consumption goes up. He could easily fine that the EV range is as little as 25 miles in summer and a lot less in the winter after which his petrol consumption could be as poor as 35mpg - put those two figures together and the effective 50 or 60 mpg he was hoping for is extremely optimistic.

Back