Big Brother

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaapv

What the **** :eek:? Yesterday I updated the iOS on my phone. YT'oday I got a push message from Google Maps: "your car is parked at the xxxxlaan, 20 m away" That is my driveway. How the <insert expletive> does Google know where my car is? It has no Internet connection... Where did they find out that my phone has the same owner as my car? Can they access the GPS now? Can they monitor my handsfree?

If your 'phone is paired to the car and you have agreed to an app using your location then it is reasonable to assume your position is being updated as you drive around. When you park and get out then the link to the car is broken. So the car is assumed to remain at a fixed location - no need to have a means of directly tracking it. You could test this by moving it without the 'phone and see if Google Maps realises. :idea:

Google remembers the location of routers and access points in connection with maps to supplement GPS, its possible the MAC address of you car wifi has been associated with you at some time.
so
Google may have detected your car wifi via someones wifi router it knows the location of, or someone came near your car who Google were tracking location of and their phone picked up the cars wifi and it put 1 and 1 together to make 2

I remember Google maps once knew exactly where I was just because I was connected to a router it knew the location of in a remote holiday villa in Greece.

jaapv said:
Hmmm.. I don't like it, a machine tracking me, with no control where the data might end up.

| don't like it much either, but it is difficult to avoid these days. I have an Android phone - went to a local pub for refreshments following a funeral service last week and later in the afternoon my phone popped up a message asking me to review the pub. Mine also remembers where I've parked the car and directs me back to it.

ChrisMiller said:
Repeat after me: "If you're not paying for it, you're not the customer, you're the product being sold."
I paid for my car, I paid for my phone, I paid for my driveway... :roll:

maby said:
jaapv said:
Hmmm.. I don't like it, a machine tracking me, with no control where the data might end up.

| don't like it much either, but it is difficult to avoid these days. I have an Android phone - went to a local pub for refreshments following a funeral service last week and later in the afternoon, my phone popped up a message asking me to review the pub. Mine also remembers where I've parked the car and directs me back to it.
And if it then reports the number of beers you had to the police? Does Google also notify your wife that your girlfriend was driving? Was there a Google ad for a divorce lawyer with her push message?

jaapv said:
What the **** :eek:? Yesterday I updated the iOS on my phone. YT'oday I got a push message from Google Maps: "your car is parked at the xxxxlaan, 20 m away" That is my driveway. How the <insert expletive> does Google know where my car is? It has no Internet connection... Where did they find out that my phone has the same owner as my car? Can they access the GPS now? Can they monitor my handsfree?

It seems that we have a similar concern...

copied from: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3457&p=39929
Harald said:
When using Android Auto , the big search machine will have access to the OBD data of your car and can judge if you are over-speeding, can judge the style of your driving, etc...
They will know how deep you pressed the pedal, what charge you have in the battery, if you overstress maintenance periods or not, ...
They will know what advertisments they could show you as they know your home and your place of work, etc...

Such data is also potentially interesting for insurance companies, authorities, etc...
Speedy drivers could face higher insurance tariffs, actual metering of speed data could lead to judgement of "gross negligence", etc...

It's up to you if you trust the external companies sufficiently for sharing such data for the comfort of having an actual navigation system.

jaapv said:
maby said:
jaapv said:

| don't like it much either, but it is difficult to avoid these days. I have an Android phone - went to a local pub for refreshments following a funeral service last week and later in the afternoon, my phone popped up a message asking me to review the pub. Mine also remembers where I've parked the car and directs me back to it.
And if it then reports the number of beers you had to the police? Does Google also notify your wife that your girlfriend was driving? Was there a Google ad for a divorce lawyer with her push message?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending it, just observing that it is difficult to avoid these days.

jaapv said:
I paid for my car, I paid for my phone, I paid for my driveway... :roll:
And how much did you pay for Google Maps on your Apple phone? :lol: You can always remove it, if it's bugging you (Apple can still track your movements, though).

It is truly amazing how much Google knows about us. I used an iPad for years and never realized it does not have a GPS built in. I mean it also has no cellular, but works great on gps maps driving down the highway. It listens for any stray wifi access points it passes by, and since it usually knows where those are based on users of them having location info supplied... it then knows where you are. Amazing really. You would have to do more than opt out to keep them from tracking you - like frequently changing your mac address...

I assume that as your car drives around - when it's near another wifi device in a nearby car that IS reporting to google, google can continuously track where your car is. The only way to maybe stop this is to hide the ssid for the car, or disable its wifi. Maybe...

Worrying about this kind of stuff tells me you are likely over 30... it seems to be an age thing.

Yes - it can probably tell your girlfriend is driving based on driving style, and her phone being near yours and the car. I do like the popups for divorce lawyers on the in-dash display - especially when it detects your car, your girlfriend's phone, your phone and your wife's phone are all near the "No-Tel Motel" at the same time.

I don't have a wife or girlfriend at the moment - perhaps Google will provide me with yours when they become free after all this :lol:

i saw an article someone was on facebook on their phone wearing a beige top, pink skirt.
next time they went on fb up popped an ad for a beige top, pink skirt.
now was the camera taking everything in without the users knowledge or is it coincedence?

Back