Bluetooth video audio not in-sync (Android Xperia Z2)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tun

I'm using an Xperia Z2 (Lollipop) and found that when I play video on my phone and has the audio out via bluetooth on the PHEV, they are not in-sync. I've tried with a few players (Video HD, MX Player, VLC) and all has the same problem.

However, on bluetooth calling, it works perfectly.

Has anyone face or know the issue for this?

Thanks....

Is that video calling, or just voice calling that is "perfect"? There is a surprisingly long latency in Bluetooth audio, so I'm not surprised that you are noticing some loss of sync. Objectively, it is probably only a fraction of a second, but it can be very noticeable. On a Bluetooth voice call, you have no point of reference to detect the delay. It's not specifically a PHEV issue - I sometimes watch video through my phone connected to a Bluetooth speakerbar and the delay can be quite noticeable.

maby said:
Is that video calling, or just voice calling that is "perfect"? There is a surprisingly long latency in Bluetooth audio, so I'm not surprised that you are noticing some loss of sync. Objectively, it is probably only a fraction of a second, but it can be very noticeable. On a Bluetooth voice call, you have no point of reference to detect the delay. It's not specifically a PHEV issue - I sometimes watch video through my phone connected to a Bluetooth speakerbar and the delay can be quite noticeable.

I didn't try the video calling but the way I tested the voice calling is thru conversation as well as the keypad presses. When I press the dial pad, I can hear the keypad sound instantly.

And yes, I was using it to watch video podcast and it's really annoying. I am not sure whether it's the phone issues or the bluetooth issue (ie car problems).

Before you go blaming the car, try it with the same phone connected to a Bluetooth headset or speaker bar. The latency can be quite high - even half a second can be distracting while watching a video. It is hard to judge on a voice-only conversation - how do you know how long the person you are talking to paused before answering you?

I think "auto" Bluetooth audio latency support was in one of the later standards and so Android will work with certain headsets etc. I don't have references. I know some video players (MX Player, maybe) you can set an audio lag in milliseconds.

I'll go play later.

PeterGalbavy said:
I think "auto" Bluetooth audio latency support was in one of the later standards and so Android will work with certain headsets etc. I don't have references. I know some video players (MX Player, maybe) you can set an audio lag in milliseconds.

I'll go play later.

Thanks Peter. I tried on setting the "Calibrate playback position" in MX but can't seems to work as well. Not sure where I've missed. Any help appreciated.

Have the same thing when watching video (have a tablet set up for the kids for long journeys). A good 2-3 second delay from video to the audio playing. Have tried this on Ipad, Samsung s3 and kindle fire. Same for all of them and doesn't seem to change between the type of player being used, Netflix, Sky Go etc all have the same.

TallPaul said:
Have the same thing when watching video (have a tablet set up for the kids for long journeys). A good 2-3 second delay from video to the audio playing. Have tried this on Ipad, Samsung s3 and kindle fire. Same for all of them and doesn't seem to change between the type of player being used, Netflix, Sky Go etc all have the same.

Aiks... then I can say that it's the PHEV problem? My previous car albeit using a bluetooth adapter doesn't have such problem....

Same problem here. Massive lag on Bluetooth audio, both an iPhone and an iPad. It's 'in the Mitsubishi system' because when you hit pause on the player the audio continues playing for 2-3 seconds. Any workarounds?

Maybe that car manufacturers are aware of the distractions to driving that video with associated audio can cause in a car. The plug in system was not necessarily designed for a car and had no such restrictions to deter usage.

Bluetooth handsfree works fine for phone conversations and music streaming does not matter. I would think it is a good thing that video in what ever form is not integrated into a car. Just use a stand alone system in the back if the passengers cannot leave home without a screen to watch. :roll:

Rizlam said:
Same problem here. Massive lag on Bluetooth audio, both an iPhone and an iPad. It's 'in the Mitsubishi system' because when you hit pause on the player the audio continues playing for 2-3 seconds. Any workarounds?
So you hit stop or pause and the music continues for a while. Apparently there is some buffering going on. How would you know whether buffering takes place on the Bluetooth In interface of MMCS or in the Bluetooth Out interface of your phoneme iPad? Or both?

Before drawing conclusions about MMCS, you would have to try with other types of Bluetooth speakers.

gwatpe said:
Maybe that car manufacturers are aware of the distractions to driving that video with associated audio can cause in a car. The plug in system was not necessarily designed for a car and had no such restrictions to deter usage.

Bluetooth handsfree works fine for phone conversations and music streaming does not matter. I would think it is a good thing that video in what ever form is not integrated into a car. Just use a stand alone system in the back if the passengers cannot leave home without a screen to watch. :roll:

As an aside - recently drove behind a woman driver who was watching music videos, between text messages and/or checking out social media on the smartphone mounted on the dashboard above the steering wheel :eek:

gwatpe said:

It's on an iPad attached to a headrest clamp for my 3yr old. I agree, without him focussing on the road I won't have the opportunity for him to tell me about road obstacles I might hit. :roll:

anko said:
Rizlam said:
So you hit stop or pause and the music continues for a while. Apparently there is some buffering going on. How would you know whether buffering takes place on the Bluetooth In interface of MMCS or in the Bluetooth Out interface of your phoneme iPad? Or both?

Before drawing conclusions about MMCS, you would have to try with other types of Bluetooth speakers.

Bluetooth speakers and headphones. No problem. Oh and the Mercedes and the BMW the audio units are also used in that work fine. It's a Mitsubishi problem.

Why would you want the audio from something a 3yr old was watching on an iPad to be patched through the car audio system, that is designed to assist the driver mainly with hands free for a phone. What happens when the phone rings and the hands free system mutes the other audio. I presume some complaints from the back seat.

gwatpe said:
Why would you want the audio from something a 3yr old was watching on an iPad to be patched through the car audio system, that is designed to assist the driver mainly with hands free for a phone. What happens when the phone rings and the hands free system mutes the other audio. I presume some complaints from the back seat.

If you're genuinely going to argue that Mitsubishi designed a 2 second gap into the Bluetooth to stop children in the back watching films on their iPad because of the chances of it interfering with an incoming call...

I use Bluetooth audio on every car I've had since moving all my music to my Smartphone - and in the future I'm pretty sure everyone will. It's hardly a specific request!

The PHEV has a poor audio system generally, and even the indicator sound is defeated if there is some other beeping going on. Do this example. Have the passenger release the seat belt clip and then operate the turn indicator. My PHEV will only have the seat belt beeper, and no sound from the turn indicator. The ECU control systems have trouble with basic car audio systems, that are important, so the audio integration of other systems controlled by the ECU may be affected as well.

Just picked up a 2013 Mitsubishi outlander fully loaded! Love the car and drive and everything it has to offer. I'm having the same problem about the bluetooth connection via the phone to the stereo. I just could not wrap my head around this issue as I took it to the dealership and they replaced the bluetooth dongle thats built in. Issue still persists and it is more annoying then ever. The delay can be 2-3 seconds, and especially playing music off YouTube, it just gets so annoying when im forwarding or even simple pausing. Is there any full fix for this issue? Im willing to pay out of pocket. If not, then Iam under warranty so I guess i can get the whole MMCS head unit replaced, but the question is would that make a difference? I feel like this is programming issue with A2DP and no the phone itself. We have tried on different iphones, androids, different mobile OS and same issue. If anyone has a solution by now please let me know.

MMC have no factory video streaming function with the MMCS. The system has been designed for audio streaming. An issue with sync of audio and video in 2 separate systems is fairly typical.

I have a new android tablet with Lollipop, so I might just test the video playback with Bluetooth sound through the PHEV. Playing a video when parked might be a future option. Catch up on some "Breaking Bad" episodes.

Back