Breakdown - unable to select drive or reverse

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryboy

After less than a 1000 miles I have suffered 3 occasions now where I have been unable to move

After pushing the brake and pressing the power button- nothing

The only thing that has got me moving is by getting out of the car and locking it

On re entry it has moved , no problem

Car booked in at dealership next week

Has anyone else had the same issue?

You happen to have a (Cobra?) alarm? If you wait to long between unlocking the car and starting it (something that can easily happen when you are still new to the car), the immobiliser re-engages resulting in the READY light not coming on. The only way is to lock / unlock with your key. No need to get out of the car.

anko said:
You happen to have a (Cobra?) alarm? If you wait to long between unlocking the car and starting it (something that can easily happen when you are still new to the car), the immobiliser re-engages resulting in the READY light not coming on. The only way is to lock / unlock with your key. No need to get out of the car.

No Anko
This is a standard car . I jump in , place my key in the slot and press the power button

It shows park and won't select drive , neutral or reverse :twisted:

you're not trying to put it into gear too soon are you? I remember be specifically told at handover to make sure to wait until the Ready light was solid and all other lights off before selecting drive, else the computer wouldn't let me select anything and a reboot being required.

Countryboy said:
.... I jump in , place my key in the slot and press the power button

Why would you put the key in the slot?

I never do that, the key stays in my pocket.
I thought the the slot is for some kind of emergency situations.
Maybe this is the reason for the problems?

PolishPilot said:
Countryboy said:
.... I jump in , place my key in the slot and press the power button

Why would you put the key in the slot?

I never do that, the key stays in my pocket.
I thought the the slot is for some kind of emergency situations.
Maybe this is the reason for the problems?

It's not mandatory to put the key in the slot, but there is nothing wrong with doing so.

The OP doesn't say whether he re-tried the start-up procedure before getting out of the car. I still, after 6 months, mistime the sequence on occasion - you couldn't use it as a "get away car" :oops:

had this a few times, strangly mostly at the ferry port in portsmouth I wonder if interference by the navy electric signals etc interfer's. just keep trying and it will eventually work normaly 3-5 attempts.

Dear all
Many thanks for your responses
I never had a handover when I got the car . I have now followed the correct procedure and all seems fine ...... :roll:

“duetto said:
had this a few times, strangly mostly at the ferry port in portsmouth I wonder if interference by the navy electric signals etc interfer's. just keep trying and it will eventually work normaly 3-5 attempts.
Basically that shouldn’t happen. The car is a Faraday’s cage.

jaapv said:
Basically that shouldn’t happen. The car is a Faraday’s cage.

Might act like a cage where lightning is concerned, but won't offer any protection against RF.

My mobile phone signal is just fine inside the car.

We are having the same problem. Basically the software of the car seems to be buggy. We had complete loss of drive issues on long journeys which are still not resolved. Sometimes when trying to start the car it just will not enter READY mode at all. To add further annoyance, when this happens, it also refuses to switch off for up to a minute so you cannot immediately retry to start the vehicle.

Our new local Mitsubishi dealer is pretty hopeless - they have not properly investigated the problem and seem to be certain it is because we are not pressing the brake when trying to start the car. This is ridiculous as we have owned the car for a year and driven 11000 miles in it - we know how to operate it!

I am still waiting for my lease company and Mitsubishi UK to get back to me with some ideas for resolving these issues as the car is simply dangerous on long journeys (sudden loss of power), and occasionally (once or twice a month) just refuses to start for minutes.

Not impressed.

Probably once a week I get a situation where the gear lever won't work. I have found d that although the power button is blue, it is lying. Press it again and everything starts working. This is always in a random situation.

Mitsubishi provided a handy green rectangle on the dashboard for the purpose.
A blue light on the on/off button does not signify ready to drive, it means systems powered up. You can use it in this mode for listening to the radio while parked, for instance.

itserve said:
We are having the same problem. Basically the software of the car seems to be buggy. We had complete loss of drive issues on long journeys which are still not resolved. Sometimes when trying to start the car it just will not enter READY mode at all. To add further annoyance, when this happens, it also refuses to switch off for up to a minute so you cannot immediately retry to start the vehicle.

Our new local Mitsubishi dealer is pretty hopeless - they have not properly investigated the problem and seem to be certain it is because we are not pressing the brake when trying to start the car. This is ridiculous as we have owned the car for a year and driven 11000 miles in it - we know how to operate it!

I am still waiting for my lease company and Mitsubishi UK to get back to me with some ideas for resolving these issues as the car is simply dangerous on long journeys (sudden loss of power), and occasionally (once or twice a month) just refuses to start for minutes.

Not impressed.
Just a thought: do you have an extra alarm with an immobilizer?

Hi from newbie.

My 3 month old/ 1900mile Gx3 has just been taken away on a recovery vehicle. Driving home I stopped at the village convenience store, shut down made a purchase got back in, pressed the start button and..........

nothing. Except a warning triangle saying EV Service Problem. I shut down locked and opened and tried again. The start up proceeded as normal but then went to the service warning message.

Neither Mitsubishi nor the RAC could fix it by the roadside so it'd been taken to the nearest dealer.

I didn't know about the problem before I decided on a PHEV so when the breakdown driver said "These are crap, loads of trouble" I started searching the internet.

Unfortunately we've had an electric hoist fitted for my wife's wheelchair so the offer of a VW Golf replacement hasn't gone down very well.

Paul

pablofb said:
I didn't know about the problem before I decided on a PHEV so when the breakdown driver said "These are crap, loads of trouble" I started searching the internet
Hi Paul,

I hope you get your car back soon. But what do you mean by "the problem"? Kinda sounds as if you think this car has structural issues with ... well with something. And what did you find, when you searched the internet? Do you really believe the guy, when he says it is a crappy car? I mean, for a breakdown driver, isn't such a statement just "wishful thinking"?

If you look at the amount of real issues reported here, on this forum, I thought it did rather well. Especially when you take into account that there are folks (like yourself) that only start participating when they encounter problems. There must be tons of guys without problems, that dodn't find their way into this forum.

Back