Buying second hand

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nernm

We have just bought our PHEV second hand [or should that be pre-owned, pre-loved or whatever?] and got an excellent deal.

Quite a large number are now appearing for sale, partly I think due to all the demonstrators used for the launch last year coming on the market.

Try:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk

Dealerships within range of where you are prepared to travel.

e.g. here are some at Gallachers (Warrington/Chester)
http://www.used.gallaghers-cars.co.uk/search/all-showrooms/mitsubishi/Outlander/price-min/1000/price-max/50000/fuel-type/hybrid

As I see it here are the advantages:
Immediate delivery;
Accessories/upgrades already there, eg protection pack, towbar etc.;
Possible massive financial saving on list price for new ...
... but beware, some are advertising second-hand vehicles at prices greater than some dealers or brokers are selling brand new vehicle for!

Disadvantages:
If pre 2015, only remainder of 3 yr warranty rather than current 5 year one;
Minor damage/scuffs inside and out;
Drive battery may have been abused by too frequent rapid charging
See http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/phev-faq.aspx

I am sure there are many more advantages/disadvantage and it comes down to personal choice

Happy shopping!

That's how I bought mine, with all of 200 miles on the clock. Considerable saving over new with towbar, protection pack and safeguard protection. Well happy. And I think a good case could be had should anything happen in between 3 and 5 years.

Titan said:
That's how I bought mine, with all of 200 miles on the clock. Considerable saving over new with towbar, protection pack and safeguard protection. Well happy. And I think a good case could be had should anything happen in between 3 and 5 years.

Dealer was pushing us to purchase one of their demos but they all had 9000+k on the clock with only a 5k saving :ugeek:

Ended up with one fresh out of the box.

Ours was bought from a Toyota dealer having been traded in even although it was only 3 months old and had only 1500 miles on the clock!

I think was to our advantage in that the dealership wasn't that au fait with the model.

We also got the three year Mitsubishi service plan that the selling dealer didn't seem aware of, our friendly local dealership discovered this - see my recent post in Activating TPMS

What did you guys pay? I recently purchased a brand new 4hin pearl white for £28,999.00 I looked at lots of second hand units all seamed to be more than I could buy a second hand car for

I think I was exceptionally lucky, though I have been looking at least once daily (retired geezer!) for the last 6 months or so.

Mine was £26k that's for GX4h in Glacier blue, towbar, mats (negotiated for) and three year service plan seller wasn't aware of.

I made the new list price for this lot £34k so a saving of £8k.

You did well, my target was to get brand new for under £30k, that's what some of the brokers were offering and sometimes the odd dealer - I think that Harrat's link initially had a new one in the sub £30k bracket. In fact now I recall I think it initially appeared as £28.5k then the next day it was £29.5k - I presume someone twigged second hand ones were on there (Auto-trader) at a higher price

With those options on that is a great price - don't want to be seeing them depreciate like a rock though...
I guess mine is more by the time I have added all the other bits but for what I paid and the 5 year warranty I still believe I did well.

I have always purchased second hand and this time because it is part of a company allowance which needs changing every 5 years I though with a 5 year warranty I would go for it and now just need to wait.

If you have just purchased it then get a wall charger ASAP as they are stopping them soon and british gass have already said any ordered after the 10/02/2015 may not be part of the grant unless it is extended

When did the Warranty go from 3 years to 5 years as I think that will also play a big effect for those buying second hand

rkde said:
When did the Warranty go from 3 years to 5 years as I think that will also play a big effect for those buying second hand
On cars registered on or after 1st January 2015.
kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
rkde said:
On cars registered on or after 1st January 2015.
kind regards,
Mark
Never knew that. Thanks Mitsubishi :evil:

Well, over here it was 3 years as well, but they did offer a two-year extension. Just now the extension was on offer again for those that did not take it. It might be that Mitsubishi UK will offer an extension plan as well in the future.

jaapv said:
Well, over here it was 3 years as well, but they did offer a two-year extension. Just now the extension was on offer again for those that did not take it. It might be that Mitsubishi UK will offer an extension plan as well in the future.
It's a standard catalogue item here - and I was led to believe that it can be purchased at any time until the original warranty runs out.

Purely a guess but, I'd imagine that if push came to shove, should something go wrong in yr4 for someone with a 3y warranty, noting the existence of 5yr warranties for identical cars, there would be a good case for an ex gratia payment.

rkde wrote:

"If you have just purchased it then get a wall charger ASAP as they are stopping them soon and british gass have already said any ordered after the 10/02/2015 may not be part of the grant unless it is extended."

Thanks for the advice rkde.
Fortunately I had one installed last summer. The Scottish Government introduced a scheme whereby you could get one installed for free, whether you had an EV or not!

We planned to make our next car purchase an EV, but didn't know which model or when but got one installed anyway. This was even before the Outlander PHEV was released here!

Unfortunately the ChargeMaster has a tethered lead and J1772 (Type 2) plug, which doesn't fit the Outlander!

Are others in the same position?
Is an alternative plug or adapter available?

I've ordered a 15m type 1 to type 2 lead for public charging, but it seems a bit of a pain if I have to plug this in to the end of the tethered lead.

PS: How do you clever chaps include a part of a previous response/author? :?:

nernm said:

You tap the little grey button to the lower left of the message labelled "quote"!

Super, thanks, testing it here too to make sure I've got it.
maby said:
nernm said:

You tap the little grey button to the lower left of the message labelled "quote"!

Back