Camping- Please help ?.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maby said:
PeterGalbavy said:
Unlikely as the car EVSE, the portable one, will want 2.2kW and most small generators will not go there. There is also the quality of the power (the manual specifically warns against using a generator) and he physics of energy in / energy out.

If you need to charge the car and can't get mains use the petrol engine - it's the best way and is no more expensive versus a generator (unless someone else is paying).

Agreed. You would certainly need one of the largest Honda or Hyundai suitcase gennies - and they are expensive things - particularly if you don't need the capacity for anything else. The modern gennies from the big name manufacturers do produce a decent sine wave output, but I don't think you would gain anything over using the car's internal petrol engine to charge up.

Thanks for the replies - I "acquired" one some time ago and have never found a use for it :lol:

Evening folks, but I have discovered the site.

I am a Motability client and am due for a new lease car in 2016.

I am also a caravanner of many years experience.

People are being misled as to the wiring etc on the caravan plug. The "live" socket on the car is protected by a relay which allows current to go to the caravan (feeding the fridge and charging system) only when the ignition was active. I have seen several instances where no such relay was used and the car ended up with a totally flat battery (full size). I remember this happening to the MD of a motor sales company who had had the electrical department put the electrics in!!!

I am considering the PHEV as my next vehicle and must be sure that it meets my requirements.

I assume that the alternator on the PHEV feeds the 12v light duty battery am I correct?

If I am correct then can someone let me know the maximum power that the alternator can deliver? This would tell me whether the PHEV would develop sufficient electrical power to run the internals of the caravan. Another reason I need an answer to this is that I have a disabled buggy which is loaded by a power hoist powered from the car battery and I don't want to try and load my 100kg scooter by hand!!

I admit that I will not try loading the buggy with no engine power but that the power will have to be there to do the work when needed

I would have no problems on site as I always have a hook-up. This gives me at least a 10A (usually 16A) supply to the caravan. If I were to connect the PHEV to my external mains socket using the charger provided what amperage would I need to kee[p the car topped up?

Hi

There is no alternator on the PHEV. The aux battery is topped up from a dc - dc converter which converts 300v ac from the drive battery into 12 v for the aux battery. This "top up" will usually occur when the car is first turned on and driven. If the car is a 4H or above and a mobile device is connected - it will automatically charge at 2pm every day when the car is not in use. So if you are using 12v auxiliary power when stationary, you could deplete the 12v battery and there could be a problem when trying to power up the car.

Plus the auxiliary battery is rather small, as it does not have to feed a starter motor, and is not really suitable to draw power from for an extended period of time or at high levels.

Thanks folks.

It looks as though the PHEV is not for me simply because of the battery situation.

Better to find out now than after I have got the car!!

However I like the Outlander itself and so I will have to look at the 2litre diesel automatic

jaapv said:
... and is not really suitable to draw power from for an extended period of time or at high levels.
I do not know about the high levels but the extended period should not be a problem. As long as you leave your car turned on (Ready light lit but engine turned off), the 300 volt drive battery will provide 12 volt when needed through the DC-DC converter.

Wouldn't it just be easier to install a purpose built leisure battery in the caravan, one that is able to deep cycle? That way the PHEV can recharge it when plugged in as required.

Back