can I use my UK charger in Switzerland and France

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polo210

I apologies if this subject has been spoken about before but does anyone know if I can use my 13 amp UK charger in Switzerland and France by just adding a normal household adaptor?!

Switzerland is 250v 10 amp
France is 250v 16 amp

My dealer says I need to buy the Swiss and French chargers?!!!

Thanks

I had no problem using my Dutch charger in the UK, Germany and Italy. There is no difference between foreign electrons and British ones.
Of course you can use your British charger abroad, provided you use an adapter that can handle 13 Amps.
Afaik household outlets provide 16 A all over the continent.
Note that many camping sites only provide low power outlets.
You can use public charging points with a Mennekes type cable.

Thank you for this jaapv

I will be using it in a Swiss and French household socket... so hopefully should be fine....I will let you know....will be there on Monday.
Traveling on air some of the way if i can find some fast charger points in France that I don't need a swipe card for!

Thanks again

Be aware that plugging a UK 13A plug into a continental socket via an adaptor usually results in the live and neutral wires getting swapped over. Equipment still works, but the protection against earth leakage and short circuits can be greatly reduced. To play safe, disconnect the charging cable before touching the car.

Thanks for all the comments, I am here now and I thought I best check with the Mitsubishi dealer here...he suggested using a good quality adapter in which
he seems to be correct. I have been using it for over a week now and all is working fine.
The big bonus is the mountain!!! I left the other morning with 4 miles on the PHEV..... 10 miles later at the bottom of the mountain I had 35 miles!!
Thanks again for all your comments

Yes, down the mountains is great. Going up again is not so great - remember to hit save at the bottom to retain that regen power if you are going to need some battery power for a long climb back up. I used save on uphills - it will still use some battery if it needs to, but will use ICE to do the main powering. I also tended to turn eco off for uphills as it felt underpowered otherwise.
cheers
H

Useful info thanks ! Yes I b5 charge on downhill? Got 50 miles yesterday....I think this must be the limit as it stopped there. In the book it says use charge in up hills...so I have been using this...this seems to drain the fuel quite quickly and use the battery?

Yes, it does drain the fuel tank, but on long slopes that is better than draining the battery down to emergency mode. If you are sure you are going to make if without flattening the battery beyond "technical" empty you can of course use save or even plain EV.

Yes, my hills (not mountains) on holiday were quite steep and had hairpins, but not so long that the car couldn't cope in save. I didn't need to use charge and despite not plugging into a socket for over 900 miles, I didn't see the turtle symbol - just shows what a good job the car does at coping without electricity when needed (and that I did some excellent, careful driving, of course ;) )
H

Back