Changing the bulbs in GX3h DRLs

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmurf2

Im looking for another option before plumping for the upgrade kit.

Can you simply change the bulbs to the xenon gas type and are they W5W's (501s)

I've ordered OSRAM night breaker HB4 and HB3s for the main lights and would like my DRLs to have that whiter hue

Thanks

John

There are a few threads on here about this. One option is to buy led bulbs, but they require some minor modification to the bulb or the light housing to fit. Another option is the led angel eye rings which go outside the lights and are used instead of the bulb inside the light.

Thanks for that was hoping for a direct bulb replacement option ie if a bulb was out and I happened to buy the blue colour ones instead don't want to modify or do wiring for the angel eyes

Jmurf2 said:
Im looking for another option before plumping for the upgrade kit.

Can you simply change the bulbs to the xenon gas type and are they W5W's (501s)

I've ordered OSRAM night breaker HB4 and HB3s for the main lights and would like my DRLs to have that whiter hue

Thanks

John

Are the DRL's on a GX3 not built into the fog lights? On the GX4 they and they are P13W bulbs for the DRL part.

Which is why I think jkh112 is talking about the threads for modifying the housing because its necessary on the GX4 to modify an LED bulb or fog light housing to make fit an LED P13W.

If the GX3 is different and has W5W you may well find an LED alternative that works, but are those not just the side light bulbs? or does the GX3 use those as DRL's?

This kind of crap really should be outlawed. Light bulbs, especially a high usage and thus very consumable one like the DRL bulb, should be from a standard bulb stock that is readily available from 3rd parties, not some custom job thats almost-but-not-entirely unlike a standard one.

DRL use P13W bulbs.

Unfortunately, most after market LED "P13W" do not fit without modifying either the bulb or the housing.

In both cases you can revert to standard P13W such as the original, factory fitted, ones. (I keep them as spares :idea: ).

discorduk said:
This kind of crap really should be outlawed. Light bulbs, especially a high usage and thus very consumable one like the DRL bulb, should be from a standard bulb stock that is readily available from 3rd parties, not some custom job thats almost-but-not-entirely unlike a standard one.

But this is about swapping the standard bulb for an LED not replacing like for like.

I swapped my standard DRL's to LED's in about 15 minutes.

As per previous thread I reamed out the bulb holder by 1-2 mm and both type of bulbs now fit.

Took the whole light fitting out. Put a vacuum cleaner to the fog light hole, reamed the DRL bulb holder with a drill for 2 minutes each side. Job done.

Big thanks to the forum for a cheap and easy solution.

I, too, initially changed the standard, pathetic faint yellow bulb for a LED bulb, but wasn't completely happy with the look of it. I have now fitted the "angel eye" ring, and it's made all the difference. Now looks quite smart, I feel. If you're going to have the units out to replace bulbs anyway, I'd consider them as an option. As for wiring, there's none to do, the wires simply push fit into the original connectors. And you can leave the original bulbs in situ.

Back