Charger via aliexpress

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aiskylos

Hi! First post. I have ordered a Outlander PHEV (all maxed out in options), delivery in 5 looooong weeks. I was thinking about an additional charger. Looked at the kits at openEVSE, but my time for DIY projects are a bit scarce at the moment.

Found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ELECTRIC-CAR-CHARGER-EVSE-OEM-J1772-AC220V-16A-European-Standard-Plug/32215403035.html

What do you think? I have ordered all kinds of things from aliexpress, mostly LEDs and other small electronics. Quality is varied, but at least ok so far.

Personally I wouldn't risk it. Okay you're saving a hundred quid or so but if it did prove to be dodgy and damaged the batteries or charging system you could have a fight on your hands to get Mitsi to honour the warranty.

Why would you need an extra charger anyway?

Thanks for your reply!

The one supplied with the car i rated for 10 A as I understand. Great for overnight charging, but maybe better with a 16 A charger when on the way. On the other other hand, almost all Schuko-equipped charging stations here seems to be rated at 10 A. Well, well, I think i will wait a bit to see how I will be using the car.

maddogsetc said:
Personally I wouldn't risk it. Okay you're saving a hundred quid or so but if it did prove to be dodgy and damaged the batteries or charging system you could have a fight on your hands to get Mitsi to honour the warranty.

aiskylos said:
Thanks for your reply!

The one supplied with the car i rated for 10 A as I understand. Great for overnight charging, but maybe better with a 16 A charger when on the way. On the other other hand, almost all Schuko-equipped charging stations here seems to be rated at 10 A. Well, well, I think i will wait a bit to see how I will be using the car.

maddogsetc said:

The charger you are referring to is only used when the car is plugged up to a domestic power socket - which is not rated to deliver 16A. In theory, you could draw up to 13A from a UK domestic socket, but this would be off-spec for the J1772 charging socket - officially, that only supports 6A, 10A and 16A charging rates. I suspect that you could use a homemade charger to tell the car to charge at 13A, but nobody has tested that yet.

maby said:
aiskylos said:
Thanks for your reply!

maddogsetc said:

The charger you are referring to is only used when the car is plugged up to a domestic power socket - which is not rated to deliver 16A. In theory, you could draw up to 13A from a UK domestic socket, but this would be off-spec for the J1772 charging socket - officially, that only supports 6A, 10A and 16A charging rates. I suspect that you could use a homemade charger to tell the car to charge at 13A, but nobody has tested that yet.

Actually, i have a 16A socket just adjacent to my garage - meant for use with a electric motor heater.

i buy quite a few items from aliexpress.
mostly good experiences, but also some bad experiences.
Especially when you get something faulty (tracked package to mail back to china is about £40!)
Faulty items are fit for the bin rather than sending back.

Would I trust a charger from china on a £30k car?

No, I would want to buy something from the UK, that has hopefully passed all british & european testing legislation.
Where at least you may have some sort of legal protection.

Don't go overestimating the risks - there is very little in a charger

Back