Charging in the rain

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austen

The Mitsubishi web site says;

"The car should not be charged when the mains power outlet is exposed to rain."

I have an IP66 external socket which is in a fairly sheltered position- do I have to wait for a dry day before plugging in?

Also is there anything wrong with leaving the charge cable connected all the time o the socket, I don't intend to charge away from home.

thanks

Chris

You'll be fine in the rain. For the cable, no issue with leaving it in but make sure it is secured somehow - they aren't cheap to replace.

I guess you are using the charging box provided with the car

I know that in theory it is "water proof" ... in practice my used PHEV had a broken charging box because left exposed to the elements

There is no issue on having the pure cable and J1772 plug exposed to the elements

But the "box" and the standard 220v plug should be better under "protection"

More then the 220v plug which you may have some good protection around ... it is looking like you may not have way to protect the "box"

PS: My charging box is all time connected to my home ... I can't use it when I'm not at home ... but ... it is not really all the time connected to the 220v power .. there is a cheap timer in the middle that provide power to the box only when my electricity is cheap

I have charged in all kinds of weather, including heavy downpours, and never had any problem.
The plugs (and box) are category IP65, which means fully waterproofed.
Elm70' s box must have been defective, which happens from time to time, especially if it is left suspended by the cable.

You'll find more "warnings" in Mitsubishi's documentation that have clearly been inspired by the legal department's fear of litigation.

jaapv said:
I have charged in all kinds of weather, including heavy downpours, and never had any problem.
The plugs (and box) are category IP65, which means fully waterproofed.
Elm70' s box must have been defective, which happens from time to time, especially if it is left suspended by the cable.

You'll find more "warnings" in Mitsubishi's documentation that have clearly been inspired by the legal department's fear of litigation.

The Box that was part of the car .. which later the car dealer did replace for free ... was damaged inside .. it got rusted inside

Sign that water proof of the original box was not perfect

Maybe this box has been left under ice and snow ... I don't know

What I know is that I would not trust to leave totally exposed to the elements 24x7 in all weather conditions. This dummy box cost is also quite expensive ... over 300 euro if I recall right.

In my case my PHEV is exposed to elements in my garden ... but the 220v plug and the box are under a "roof" even if this is outside the house, but no rain or snow can reach the box or the 220v plug

220v plug by definition are not water proof .. especially the UK 220v plug ... but if the socket has been placed in a proper place it may have some level of rain protection.

Assuming there is no "shelter" ,,, personally I would buy something like a little dog house for keep inside the charging box in case I need to leave it outside all the time.

In my experience leaving outside exposed to elements, with rain, snow and ice (temperature here can be up to -23deg in winter) ... nothing electronic without special protection can last more then one or two winters

The OP has stated his plug socket is IP66 so more than adequate for use in the rain. IP66 should be able to withstand high pressure water jets (compared to IP65 which is only low pressure water jets).

So, with a IP66 socket and IP65 box, he should be more than ok.

Thanks for all the info.

I have ordered a G3h+ and expect to take delivery this week.

From measurements it looks like I'll have to reverse into the drive to use the 5 metre cable (without a camera!!).

I see there is an 8 metre cable available but it's £396.00 !!!

Moving the IP66 to a more exposed position may solve it but I am reluctant to do that anyway so will wait until I get the car at home rather than try to measure it.

Chris

I am charging in rain now. You wont go far in UK without rain. I have all weather out door box. Switch off then I unplug the car. I keep a microfibre cloth to wipe it before storing. If wet leave it in boot rather than underfloor box , to dry.

Back