Charging - turn off charger before connecting / disconnect?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter

Guys,

In the official Mitsiubishi video (http://youtu.be/ipww1QSv714) they say to turn off the wall charget before connecting / disconnecting from the car. Is this really a requirement of simply anti-litigation safety advice?

Kev.

If you turn off the wall unit before disconnecting, this will skew the data from Chargemaster

I did this religiously at first but once the charger was installed and I realised that is permanently live I stopped bothering. That said, if I were to plug into an external 3 pin on a rainy day I'd probably play safe and connect it all up before switching on.

I seem to remember the charge point instructions actually tell you to pull out the nozzle before switching off, but can't be bothered to dig them out to check sorry! I think they may have said to turn the key if you are not using it for a while. When we went on holiday I flipped the dedicated trip switch on mine. I have now stopped bothering to turn the key as its easy to forget to turn it on - very irritating to find a flat battery!
cheers
H

No need to turn anything off - even If the car is still charging and you just need to go out before its finished...
when you press the Plug release button on the plug into the car the connection box will trip the contactor and isolate the supply before you can pull out the plug...
The car display usually says something like "Charge Interrupted" when you hit start...

The cable on the BG/Chargemaster/Polar connections boxes is only LIVE when it has been properly connected to the car and the box senses that everything is ok to turn on the supply...
Apart from the charge time and Kw drawn being reported to the network thats the only function in the connection box - all the intelligent charging stuff is in the car...

Back