Charging while idling

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanderCT7

Any experience with time it takes to charge from empty to full using the charge button while car is parked and idling?

The video says he walked away and only came back 96 minutes later. Who knows when the engine stopped. 94 minutes seems quite long when for a MY14 model (38Ah), 80% battery charge whilst stationary uses 3L of fuel in 40 minutes according to this YouTube video: .

My recollection from when I tested it is that the engine output dial showed a notch and a half, corresponding roughly to 5 kW charging power. Based on this, I would expect 2 to 3 hours from empty to 80% (of the available 16 kWh). However, I do not remember how full the battery was (though expecting I would have tested on empty), so this charging rate may not be the average. 1.5 hr does not seem that much off base. Definitely not faster than that.

From what I've seen, the 20kwh battery will retain 15% after EV range is used up. And when I've used a DC charger it has reported at worst 25% on my 2018 12kwh battery. So 3kwh in both cases. If not charged, the car then fucntions as a hybrid while keeping the battery around that level. 13.8kwh, I dunno but lets just say is the same. Which would be 22% remaining.

The big question though is WHY Would you want to do that? Just drive the car and if you need to charge for later then ok do that. But the best way to operate is to run out of EV range as you arrive home without starting the engine (Again), and plug it in to charge at the lowest rate you can get..

Any experience with time it takes to charge from empty to full using the charge button while car is parked and idling?
From flat (i.e. ~30% SOC) to about 80% on my 2014 GX4hs took about 45 minutes last time I needed to do it (camping in a field with no access to mains electric). It was both quicker than I though it would be and longer than I would have liked.

Back