Circumstances when the ICE comes on?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kpetrov said:
To be honest I don't know how and why is programmed that way but the battery is more than capable to provide enough power at 0C deg.
In a matter of fact I am running it at -20C on battery only without any issue. (short commute with disabled engine)

It depends on battery health though since before I started disabling my engine it was firing it at 5C and after an reset and DBCAM started to do it at -5C.

I am intrigued.

Is this a mod you use to disable your engine? If so, is it "switchable"?

I'd love to hear more.

The winters here in the south of England are mild by Canadian standards, but we do have frosty days. I have found that I can avoid ICE start in my 2020 Dynamic by not using the global screen clear/defrost option. Because I have an off road parking place I can plug the car in to charge, set the charge timer such that it will probably have finished by 30 minutes or so prior to my expected departure, and simultaneously set cabin pre-heat to run for twenty minutes right up to departure. That way I don't need the global screen clear, the cabin is warm, and the ICE remains off if I use EV and Eco options.

One thing that does trouble me is that the ICE will run for a few minutes only under some circumstances. All my long driving life I have carefully avoided running an ICE for short periods so that the engine can achieve running temperature and there's no chance of acidic condensation building up in the engine oil. Not have a temperature gauge, I cannot tell whether that happens in my PHEV.

A water temperature gauge tells you noting about the oil temperature anyway.

There's no way that the oil gets up to temperature after some of the short running periods that the PHEV does. But the manufacturer knows that and sets a suitable service schedule. Neglect it at your peril, or use better oil etc.

MarcusBrody said:
kpetrov said:
To be honest I don't know how and why is programmed that way but the battery is more than capable to provide enough power at 0C deg.
In a matter of fact I am running it at -20C on battery only without any issue. (short commute with disabled engine)

It depends on battery health though since before I started disabling my engine it was firing it at 5C and after an reset and DBCAM started to do it at -5C.

I am intrigued.

Is this a mod you use to disable your engine? If so, is it "switchable"?

I'd love to hear more.
Yes it is a switchable mod to disable the engine... not reversible on the go though. You have to switch off the vehicle to be able to return it to original state and the engine back on.

Here is HOW TO:
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5451

When the ICE runs in these situations it's not using a lot of gas and some needs to be run from time to time anyways. Don't sweat it.

Hasenphever said:
When the ICE runs in these situations it's not using a lot of gas and some needs to be run from time to time anyways. Don't sweat it.

I don't sweat it, just use it wen it's really needed not to partially warm up the engine for my 1 mile trip only cause the vehicle has to be universal and fool-proof.

AndyInOz said:
If you don't want a hybrid, don't buy one.

I'm a little stunned by the attitude of so many on this forum (apologies in advance - I'm a newbie to this forum coming from a very active Honda Clarity forum in insideevs).

I drive a 2018 Honda Clarity PHEV and have been extremely frustrated at my inability to keep my new 2023 Outlander PHEV in EV mode for all my drives around town.

Having driven a PHEV for five years now, it is absolutely incorrect to say that buyers should not expect a PHEV to stay in EV mode for short trips with a full battery. That's how my Clarity behaves (except in extreme temperatures) and I can do 90% of my driving (which is mostly in-town) on EV and rarely use any gas on the vehicle (when I go on longer trips).

To dismiss complaints that the Outlander PHEV doesn't allow our daily, in-town, short trips with a full battery to be on EV as coming from people who "clearly don't understand the difference between an EV and PHEV is condescending and also false.

2023 Outlander PHEV will (almost) never start ICE if you take an extra 1sec starting the car, at least in North America. So much discussion and consternation on various forums about this, but it's so simple to operate like an EV if you want to:

1) press Power with NO BRAKE pedal (ACC mode)
2) press EV button (changes to EV mode)
3) press Power WITH brake (On/Ready)
4) put into gear (D/R), enjoy

This works in cold weather (pretty far below freezing), unless you floor it obviously, or possibly when switching to windshield defrost. At some point the car would presumably force you to burn the old stale gas, but, you bought a hybrid so, got to burn that gas eventually.

PJmacgee said:
2023 Outlander PHEV will (almost) never start ICE if you take an extra 1sec starting the car, at least in North America. So much discussion and consternation on various forums about this, but it's so simple to operate like an EV if you want to:

This works in cold weather (pretty far below freezing), unless you floor it obviously, or possibly when switching to windshield defrost. At some point the car would presumably force you to burn the old stale gas, but, you bought a hybrid so, got to burn that gas eventually.

Just a note here - this doesn't work for some people. I've found a few who have said the same - is it a Canadian Model thing? Something with the software version? Who knows, but it doesn't work!

My PHEV will kick on the engine even if I follow this to the letter - even when temps are still a few degrees above 0c. It seems like 3-6c is the threshold for my vehicle.

rvdlh said:
AndyInOz said:
If you don't want a hybrid, don't buy one.

I'm a little stunned by the attitude of so many on this forum

This 100% - thank you.

Coming from the Chevy Volt world of forums, it was a lot more collaborative to overcoming challenges and working as a community to get the most out of that car (which I will sing the praises of for many years to come).

But browsing threads here... wow, what a stark comparison. There's always someone ready to throw shade at any mod or upgrade suggestion, and still more ready to reply that everything must be take it as it is and you're wrong to ask questions.

Still, speaking as a long time lurker, there are great people here if you tune out those who add nothing but criticism.

MarcusBrody said:
Just a note here - this doesn't work for some people. I've found a few who have said the same - is it a Canadian Model thing? Something with the software version? Who knows, but it doesn't work!

My PHEV will kick on the engine even if I follow this to the letter - even when temps are still a few degrees above 0c. It seems like 3-6c is the threshold for my vehicle.

Do you have the HVAC (climate control) on? If so, and set for anything above the minimum 15degC setpoint, it will bring in the engine to supply heat at any ambient below 10degC.

MarcusBrody said:
PJmacgee said:

This startup sequence definitely don't work on some models, Canadian for sure.
Mine engine was firing after one minute of driving under 5C temperatures (all HVAC off)
After I did an BMU reset and DBCAM the situation have changed for sure. Now the threshold is around -5C (below freezing).

This startup sequence definitely don't work on some models

Your signature says you're in a 2018 Outlander?That's a totally different car than 2023...I wouldn't expect anything to work the same at all.

PJmacgee said:

Your signature says you're in a 2018 Outlander?That's a totally different car than 2023...I wouldn't expect anything to work the same at all.

Ah, I didn't realize the behavior was different! That makes sense thank you.

edit: As an aside, I'm not sure if it's Canadian models, or all of my generation Outlander, but the lowest climate setting is 17.5 - not 15.

PJmacgee said:

Yep, forgot to mention 2018 Canadian model.
This starting sequence was known long before 2023 model and working on most models but definitely not on 2018 - 2022 Canadian.

This startup sequence definitely don't work on some models, Canadian for sure.
Mine engine was firing after one minute of driving under 5C temperatures (all HVAC off)
After I did an BMU reset and DBCAM the situation have changed for sure. Now the threshold is around -5C (below freezing).
Mine doesn't switch on at all when I'm in EV mode unless I floor it. However, when it's -5C or colder, it's eating the battery like chocolate. On one of the days, it was below -5C, and I did about 10 kms, and the battery was over... I had like 50 kWh per 100 kms...

Back