Purely subjective- no offense intended.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS2115

Why did I choose an Outlander PHEV?
I needed the size for my work, but I also wanted to get out of a gas guzzling ICE. With shorter drives these days the EV range lets me charge about once a week and practically never go into motor mode. I liked the 'safety' of the 4wd for trips away and inclement weather.
I also quite like the Mitsubishi product in general and in my 52 years of driving have owned a Sigma wagon, Galant hatchback V6 2l (sweet car), several Magnas across the years and my wife has a 2018 ASX which does very well for her.
Finally, I'm coming up to retirement (prob next year) and thought it a sensible decision to lower my vehicle running costs considerably. I also wanted to get in/out of the car easier, and something I love is that I don't have to be so careful at the bottom of driveways, and car park spots with low barriers, etc to not scrape the front of the car. This outlander meets all this.

But to the main subject, its a smart looking vehicle but boring. Slab sided with those huge door panels with nothing to break them up like a subtle body line or protector strip or such.

I like to make a vehicle 'my own' but not anything outlandish like flares, ridiculous wheels, wings and skirts etc. Not into over tinting windows either.
So I'm aware the 'modern look' has moved away from stripes and decals and such, but I was wondering if anyone has had the same thoughts as myself and seen (or installed) anything that takes away the slab side look?
I don't want a desert 4 x 4 mural or mountain scene or such over the entire side of the car, but more any good looking or subtle striping perhaps?
Any photos?

My paint I believe is called Platinum - its a silver but with a touch of green tint to it, and there's lots of chrome such as door handles, front grill and other exterior trim bits n pieces. I didn't want to go blacking out chrome unless I saw a car/photo which looked fantastic- then I might consider it.

DibbyDibbyDJ said:
Hey fella, forget the Phev..

Tell us about the DS23 instead..

Now that is a great car :D :D :D :D

LOL.
Am I allowed to on the Mitsubishi forum?

Its a 1974 DS23 Safari - that's the s/wagon (french call it a Break) with the rear seats and the raised roof at the back with roof rack.
Its one of only 4 in Australia with BVH and one of the other four is a Australian enthusiasts conversion from the parts scavenged from a sedan. Mine was bought to Australia by a Baron in the UK who emigrated here so I've been told.

Its in pieces at the moment. It wasn't too bad in the beginning as it had been restored by its second owner in 1990, but unfortunately an under-bonnet fire broke his heart and he sold it to a farmer who allowed his kids to paddock bash it so it has a few dents, a little bit of rust in the doors and along the sills and the underside is clean and shiny from being driven literally across paddocks (probably on low).
I've rewired everything in front of the firewall, upgraded the fuse boxes, and the engine starts and runs despite sitting for a long time.
I can have PDR done on the fender dents but am cutting and welding rust in the bottom of the four doors.
The tailgate had a reversing dent and thats now all fixed and in primer.

The interior is currently gutted but I have everything. Just need to recover the front seats.
Its surprising how many parts still exist for these DS's. I have a great connection in the UK, but parts can be sourced everywhere - UK, Europe, Asia and USA. Its never been difficult. I can buy seat covers from Thailand and install them myself even.

I'm not doing a showroom restoration - I just was it to look tidy with fresh paint and just drive and enjoy it.

Wow that sounds like a great project and to keep a goddess on the road is a great thing to do. Always wanted one of those since I was knee high but sadly never managed to acquire a DS or CX. I did run a BX GTi for a few years then on to the XM (series-1) the following 20 or so, last was a 3.0 v6 SEi with the 90-degree engine. I do miss that car but parts became harder to get and it was the daily driver, so I gave her away FOC to another enthusiast at around 20 years old when the clutch broke. Went back to Alfa with the 156 V6 2.5L and now to the 2.4L PHEV.

Best of luck with the resto, I'm sure you'll have many fun years driving the Safari :)

Back