Completely new to Mistubishi

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a daily commute of 38-40 miles, she’ll be doing around 20 miles a day on petrol ( slightly less in summer, slightly more in winter).

With a 10 gallon tank, and a realistic average of 35mpg, you have a range of around 350 miles so she’ll be filling up every 17 days roughly, assuming no other usage on petrol for other journeys, but as you’ll not want to let the petrol tank fall too low its more likely to be something like every 15 days. How does that compare to what she does now ?

Hippogriff said:
Thanks.

Currently her Mini Countryman Sport is averaging 28mpg... so pretty much everything out there looks a bit better. She needs to be careful, as you say, to not jump in with both feet, thinking she'll never need to fill up again!

My Jeep's computer is claiming over 40mpg to me... I never do actual measurements myself, it's probably lying.

Cheers, Hippo

Hmmm, if she's managing to get a Mini Countryman down to 28mpg, she certainly does not have a light right foot! A PHEV is capable of some surprising acceleration if you floor it - and also gets down to 28mpg - she will have to learn to drive a bit more gently if she wants to see some useful reduction in fuel consumption!

Yes, Mini Countryman Sport petrol... she's a maniac, we need to get her a sofa-car to slow her down a bit.

She seems to be filling-up once per week to 10 days, but that's finger in the air - she's not keeping a diary.

She's just said she thinks she'd prefer the heated steering wheel (PHEV) over heated windscreen (Ateca). Interesting.

Cheers, Hippo

Hippogriff said:
Yes, Mini Countryman Sport petrol... she's a maniac, we need to get her a sofa-car to slow her down a bit.

She seems to be filling-up once per week to 10 days, but that's finger in the air - she's not keeping a diary.

She's just said she thinks she'd prefer the heated steering wheel (PHEV) over heated windscreen (Ateca). Interesting.

Cheers, Hippo

Given the pre-heater on the PHEV, a heated windscreen is probably less valuable than it is on other cars.

Hippogriff said:

Cheers, Hippo

Heated steering wheel is OK, but not really worth a huge amount in my view.

I understand that they put in the heated steering wheel so that you could potentially drive the car without turning on the main heating in the winter, but by using heated seat and heated steering wheel you’d be warm enough.

Personally I’d rather be warm than worry overly much about impacting on range, so if the heated seat isn’t enough on its own then I just turn on the heating.

In other words, if you’re warm enough with the heated seats, then I don’t think the heated wheel is much use, and if its too cold with the heated seats on then you need to turn on the main heating regardless of whether or not you have a heated steering wheel.

Just my view of course, and others may see it as a great benefit, but the heated steering wheel is definitely something that I could live without. Bear in mind also that its not the whole circumference of the wheel that is heated, just the section close to the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock position.

Personally, I love the heated steering wheel.. mainly because it warms up in about 20 seconds.. it's great when you come into the car from the cold outside and you're still waiting for the heating to warm everything else up.

Looked through the brochure I took the other day and the Android Auto logo is plastered inside it - should've checked. That's a good plus. I am keen to try it out. I've arranged to go to Seat on Friday... so we'll see how that goes down too.

Cheers, Hippo

Android Auto is great. The Google mapping/traffic functions are fantastic as well being able to use speech to text/text to speech over WhatsApp. It also has extra audio functions to control TuneIn Radio and Spotify.

It does consume data though. I am averaging about 2Gb extra per month, but on a 20gb data plan that's hardly anything.

I'm going to assume no more data than if you were in the passenger seat doing exactly the same stuff on your phone?

It's not an issue anyway, my data isn't bounded.

I need to check this out in both cars. Things are looking good... at first she had no idea what Android Auto was - now, a tad excited by it.

The question I have is simple... if you have Android Auto (with the most superior mapping system out there) would you even need a factory-fitted, expensive and proprietary manufacturer system? Pity you can't save costs by removing that aspect. I know if Google Maps is available to me I'd never use whatever map system any other manufacturer might put into their cars.

Cheers, Hippo

jaapv said:
It can become a bit pricey when using it abroad, though...

True, but then you just fall back on to the internal Tom Tom powered satnav and ice

Android Auto is still a little clunky, but you know it's always up to date and will receive almost unlimited upgrades.

Back