Crackling charger unit

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albacore

Have had the car now for 3 weeks and tonight I have experienced my first charging problem which I'm very disappointed with. Checked the app earlier, to find that the car was 90% charged but no image to show active charging.

On checking the car out I found that the fault light was on. Brought the charger inside, plugged it into the house socket to hear that the charger is making a crackling noise. Will be visiting the dealer tomorrow, I hope I can get a replacement without any fuss. I have religiously used the cord to hang the charger so the pressure is not on the cable.

Really disappointed, as I was just getting used to the driving style required for the car. I managed over 35 miles on battery alone today (with starting mileage of 27 mile range) with a combination of B0 coasting and regeneration on hills, so was really pleased.

Well have gone through the palaver of speaking with dealers... they need the car for a day to do an investigation so they can justify to Mitsubishi that they can order a replacement. Low and behold I tried it again tonight to find it didn't go into fault mode - its working and has charged the car tonight. In fact I have 45 miles range!

Maybe the block got wet with all the rain and has had chance to dry out. Presumably all is ok now so I don't need to take a day of to go to the dealers. Charging block inside the caravan now from now on me thinks!

What do you mean with crackling?

I guess that if the wires inside the cable have broken and become disconnected, they could be arcing. That's not good.

I had my charger replaced because of a bad connection, and when looking at it, it's not strange as cable is bending quite a bit when using the lanyard.

There was no fuzz getting a new charger on warranty.

I ended up added a bit to the lanyard on the new charger so it takes the weight but keeps the cable reasonably straight.

I guess I saved just about the same amount on fuel that it would have cost me to buy a new charger though...

Back