Cruise Control - Stop and Go with 2023 PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temprabbitPHEV

Hello,
Coming from a Honda CRV to owning a Outlander 2023 PHEV SEL trim (Canada). I noticed the ACC (Adaptive cruise control) in Outlander doesnt stay stop the car and stay stopped when the vehicle ahead of you isnt moving.
I was using the cruise control and the vehicle ahead of me came to a complete stop, after which my Outlander PHEV came to a complete stop too but then just after 2 seconds beeped and started moving. I was expecting the car to be stopped until the vehicle ahead of me was stopped.
Atleast it does that with Honda Cruise control.

Is this a normal behavior with Outlander cruise control?

I've never trusted mine to do that.
I prefer to use the speed limiter to keep me within the limit and then drive 'normally'. i only wish there was an automatic way to keep the speed set to the local limit (traffic sign recognition).
I did try the ACC on a motorway but found that the car started to speed up if the one in front 'disappeared' because of a corner.

I have a MY16 GX4hs and that is how my ACC works. When the car in front stops and my car comes to a full stop, the ACC is then cancelled (put into standby mode), it beeps and a yellow warning notice in the Multiple Information Display appears telling you to press the brake pad. If you don't then the car starts to slowly move forward, usually at too low a speed to immediately activate the ACC again.

Hello,
Coming from a Honda CRV to owning a Outlander 2023 PHEV SEL trim (Canada). I noticed the ACC (Adaptive cruise control) in Outlander doesnt stay stop the car and stay stopped when the vehicle ahead of you isnt moving.
I was using the cruise control and the vehicle ahead of me came to a complete stop, after which my Outlander PHEV came to a complete stop too but then just after 2 seconds beeped and started moving. I was expecting the car to be stopped until the vehicle ahead of me was stopped.

I have the same car as you also in Canada but with the GT trim (don't think that should make a difference). My cruise control behaves differently. It will bring my vehicle to a full stop when the vehicle ahead of me stops, then after a few seconds, a message will flash on my heads-up display stating to push the cruise control button down to start moving again (can't remember the exact phrasing of the message). The car remains stopped until I do this. When the car in front moves, there is a bit of a pause, then my car starts following the one ahead at the selected distance. I find it very slow to start moving in ECO mode, so I keep the chrome knob in Normal whenever I'm using this feature in city traffic.
Maybe check with your dealer to see if there is something wrong.

Reading BobK's description of how his ACC works didn't ring any bells with what I remembered reading for mine so I re-read how it is supposed to work. I haven't used it often but maybe if you press the brake within the two seconds once stopped so that you don't hear a beep, the ACC isn't cancelled after all and will continue once traffic moves again. From the MY16 owner's manual: "If you do not depress the brake pedal within 2 seconds after an automatic stop, you are alerted to automatic cancellation of the ACC by a buzzer and display message and the ACC shifts into the "standby mode". The vehicle will then start creeping forward as the brakes are released." Maybe the Canadian or the MY23 ACC spec everywhere has improved since 2016.

is it possible BobK enabled auto hold functionality? Or Mitsubishi cheaps on Canadian version again: in USA SEL is the fully loaded trim. Somehow Mitsubishi Canada managed to get a lower SEL, a GT and a GT premium.

My experience aligns with BobK's - the message (either in the dash or in the heads-up display) is something like "select resume to continue" and resume is flip-up on the cruise control. The car will sit for ever with brakes applied until resume is triggered, and does not creep - but I most likely do have auto-hold enabled. I find that the resume pickup time has a delay, but probably not so much that the person behind me would wonder what's going on.

My experience (as recently as yesterday) is that the ACC is a delightfully feet-off experience. I have ACC set for max separation to the next car. My car tracks the car in front very effectively, and only requires a cruise lever resume-press if there's been a complete stop. In traffic it reliably slows right down, brakes more-or-less the way I would, and accelerates back to speed a little less rabbit-like than I might do with my foot.

In about four hours I'll be doing some city driving, and I'll check to see if auto-hold makes any difference to ACC behaviour in traffic.

Hello,

The very latest versions with Mi-Pilot (which have a green button on the steering wheel) have this function, along with some other functions. But unless you have Mi-Pilot, then your ACC is behaving normally

But unless you have Mi-Pilot, then your ACC is behaving normally
And
In about four hours I'll be doing some city driving, and I'll check to see if auto-hold makes any difference to ACC behaviour in traffic.
Which turned out to be what happend. BTW: my Outlander is a 2023 which I guess would have Mi-Pilot.

After careful testing of ACC in traffic, I can now confirm that
* if the car in front stops (eg: at a light or intersection) then my car comes to a stop at a respectful distance
* if the stop is less than about 2 seconds*, then my car moves off when the car in front moves off. But not before.
* if the stop is more than about 2 seconds, then my car stays put when the car in front moves off. ACC puts up a message inviting me to press Res+ to restart and move off. And it does.
* the selection or not of auto-hold makes no difference to ACC that I can detect.

The only time I have problems with ACC is when a car in front peels off to the left to make a left hand turn. My car slows down to match it even though the car in front is technically no longer in front or in my lane.

* guesswork. I haven't actually timed it. But there's a definite point when the car decides it's been stopped for long enough to wait for instruction.

Back