Different Tyres on different Axles

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasheo

Hi,

I have read all the discussions re replacing tyres on the phev but I havent been able to get the answer to the following. If anyone knows would be much indebted for the advice.

So as far as I can see. Changing all tyres to the same is fine re TPMS and EV warning etc. What I cant work out is if I change to different Toyo tyres such as the open country or proxies can I have the original R37s on one axle and a different set on another axle without problems?

I understand that the stability and abs etc works on the dimensions of the tyre but is this sensitive to different tyre sets on each axle or is it ok if the axles match?

I have different tyres on each axle without any issues.

At 25,000 miles the front original Toyos were worn out and replaced with Bridgestone All Season tyres. On Monday I got a screw in one of the rear tyres and my Leasing Company changed both rear tyres with the mileage now at 49,000, even though there was still life left in the original Toyos. They fitted Dunlop. The Bridgestones on the front still have 4mm of tread after 24,000 miles.

Both of these tyres are much quieter than the Toyos.

I run my car on the high speed 38psi setting at all times, and check the pressure every two weeks, usually putting 1 or 2 psi back in each time.

Until the screw on Monday, the TPMS had never come on.

Hope this helps.

As with steel188 I had to change the front due to screw and fitted Proxies with original R37s still on rear - no problems. :cool:

This is excellent news. I'm going to go for some different tyres and didn't want to cock it all up. I'll end up with all 4 the same but just not initially.

Any thoughts on winter tyres all year round in UK?

I've thought about it but will probably go for Vredestein Quatrac 5 all-seasons once the original Toyo R37 are worn - which will stay on all year.

Back