Do you need to put in park first before powering off (Lazy)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaggy

So if you are shutting down, do you actually need to hit the p button first before pushing the power off button. Be nice if you can bypass the p button and just simply hit the power button. So what's the thoughts on this?

Jaggy said:
So if you are shutting down, do you actually need to hit the p button first before pushing the power off button. Be nice if you can bypass the p button and just simply hit the power button. So what's the thoughts on this?

You have already had the answer from others that pushing Power Off does put the transmission into Park. However, if like me you prefer to convince yourself just stop your car on a slight incline, keep your foot on the footbrake, press Power Off without operating the electronic handbrake. Ease the pressure off the footbrake. The car will roll slightly then stop as it takes up the slack in transmission Park.

Irrespective of how you put the transmission into Park I would always also engage the electronic handbrake. There will be a few on this forum who disagree but my experience of always relying on transmission Park on “Automatics” is that the electronic handbrake mechanism suffers from lack of use and lets you down at MoT time.

I appreciate everyone's response. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything damaging to the vehicle

This has started catching me out on SWMBO's Zoe, as that has a lever that physically stays in the different positions. I've often turned it off and started to get out to find it bleeping at me that I've not put it into Park... :oops:

Back