E85 - didn't go well

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlescrote

Just going across France and was tempted by the 89c/litre price of E85. Thinking that we'll be burning through it and refilling in 300 miles anyway, I thought I'd try it.

Brimmed the tank (2016 MY) and all seemed to go well for the next few hours. No noticeable difference in performance (fully loaded with 4 adults and luggage for a ski trip, so not good in the first place), maybe a loss in economy but hard to tell as I'd also speeded up to 130kmh rather than 110.

Stopped for lunch break amd refilled to the brim again (30 litres this time) with E10 and as we pulled back onto the motorway under relatively hard acceleration (by this time, my wife, commonly known as Lead Foot Lil, was driving) and the engine was noticeably rough and the "engine check" light came on. No noticeable loss of performance or anything, so we're rolling with it until we stop and we'll see if it turns off. I suspect it was a misfire as the closed loop fuelling had adjusted itself to the E85 and then suddenly had to deal with E10 (no flex fuel sensor fitted of course). I don't think I have my OBD dongle with me to have a look, that'll have to wait until I get home in a week.

Back