Electronic brake controller

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbot

Hi,

I have a 2014 outlander PHEV Aspire with factory trailer hitch (reese style) and 7 pin flat socket.

I'm led to believe that for towing >750kgs, I need an aftermarket electronic brake controller (EBC) (like Tekonsha makes).

To connect this to the vehicle, it needs the OEM EBC harness installed. Mitsubishi Australia have quoted me AUD$600 to fit this.. ouch!

But I have found no mention of the EBC harness when searching this forum... Has anyone done this themselves? Or know what the OEM harness by itself should cost? I see that it is around $100 for the Pajero/Challenger.

Cheers
Tim

A trailer with gross mass of up to 750 kgs can be unbraked, trailers over this weight and upto 3500kgs will be a braked trailer so will come with its own brakes which are activated by the tow hitch.

HTH

timbot said:
I'm led to believe that for towing >750kgs, I need an aftermarket electronic brake controller (EBC) ... Mitsubishi Australia have quoted me AUD$600 to fit this.. ouch!

Correct, this is a ADR requirement for all vehicles in Australia. I have only had a brake controller on other vehicles (my PHEV only has a towbar). For my other vehicles the brake controller was done at the time of fitting the towbar so I am unaware of the separate cost however Mitsubishi would probably be one of the most expensive.
Note PHEV towing is limited to 1500kg, not the figure mentioned by someone else.

timbot said:
needs the OEM EBC harness installed.

I can't help you on that part, however any towbar fitting company should be able to help you out eg http://www.haymanreese.com.au

Hi all. No doubt the topic has been settled however if anyone is looking for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (2014) Electric Brake Controller Harness, I have one that didn't get used. Brand new in box.
Hope this is OK to post here.

Johny451 said:
if anyone is looking for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (2014) Electric Brake Controller Harness, I have one that didn't get used. Brand new in box.

I don't have any use for it today, however please don't throw it out as I might tow a van with my PHEV in years to come if it doesn't find a new home in the meantime.

Back