EV System Failure

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smith72 said:
EV Service Failure

I returned to my car to get the same fault, called RAC who spent an hour pulling car to bits, checked battery, fuses, relays (a known problem) and couldn't get it to start. Plugged in their computer and no faults. Low loader struggled as it wouldn't come out of 'Park'. Now at dealer.

Question: If EV fails why can't you use it as a petrol automatic, not ideal as I only get late 20's mpg in this mode but better being stuck with a car that wouldn't start 40 miles from home on a Friday night.

UK Spec 4GSh

1. Why call RAC rather than the Mitsu service?

2. Because it is not a petrol auto and has to use the EV bits to mimic one.

BobEngineer said:
Grigou said:
O yes, of course Toyota is not 100 % perfect !

http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/consumer-reports-best-and-worst-car-brands-in-2016-include-audi-subaru-and-lexus-1.11504841

Where is Mitsu ? Have a look at the bottom of the ranking ! :D

We must stay humble ;)

http://www.whatcar.com/news/honda-named-uks-reliable-used-car-manufacturer-2015/

17th isn't the end of the world...

Certainly not, since we're still alive ;)

My Phev has been at the dealer now for 3 weeks while they have been "running tests" as per Mitsi's instructions.
Its now being sent to Portbury, so no idea how long thats going to take.

Frankly, I am not impressed with the dealer or Mitsi. Or the ASX that they have fobbed me off with.

Can you give us an Update on this. Would be interested if and how your problem was resolved.

I have had the same fault 3 times, but only on journeys over 80 miles or so. I use the vehicle for short journeys mostly but the last 3 times I have undertaken longer journeys, this fault has occurred. Each time the vehicle has been recovered to a dealer and I have been provided with different reasons each time - Removing from rapid charger too early (although never used one) - Transit fuse unseated - and last time, Low battery ???? The dealers are more concerned with getting the vehicle off the premises than investigating the fault.. i.e it would appear that they reset the on-board computer to get the car going, so that they can say they have done the job!

So far yes, I have done some long trips up the Chester and back. Further than 80 miles for sure.

I have a trip to mid France at the end of the month so that should be a good test for it.

Thanks for getting back so promptly,

Sorry, I might have missed some posts in between, but what was the diagnosis from Mitsubishi ?

In my case they replaced the ECU which I have also heard has happened on someone elses Outlander. The battery connecter was also replaced.

To be honest once someone qualified from Mitsubushi got his hands on the car it was fixed quickly. Unfortunately it was at the dealers for 3 weeks having tests run on it until it was taken to Portbury to be fixed.

I suspect the dealer network is not geared up to look after the cars properly yet.

Few owners can be unlucky with their new car. I had a citroen C4 grandp 1.6 deisel new and its engine would cut off at 70mph on motorway in fast traffic dangerous. It took citroen 18 month ., even though dealer was excellent. My friends Audi Q7 a 64k new car is in garage 80% of times.
Yours in warranty they will have to sorted . Mine is 4 months old no problem yet.

I've had this EV system service required message on startup on 3 occasions over the past 7 days.
Each time, the car ran OK, and after stopping when I could, switching the car OFF and back ON, the message did NOT re-appear.
Now, on another post on a different topic (can't find it now), somebody mentioned the possibility of CAN-bus corruption causing this.
I have an OBDII bluetooth adaptor installed (cheapo clone), and I sometimes use Torque Pro.
Thinking about this, it occurred to me that on each occasion that the error message occurred, I had been using Torque Pro,
and when I arrived at my destination, I turned the car OFF, BUT LEFT THE TABLET ON!
The error message occurred when I re-started the car.
It is likely that Torque was continuously polling the adaptor whilst the car was off, and naturally continued to do so during the time
that the car was next turned ON, maybe causing some corruption whilst the car was powering up.

I have resolved not to allow this situation with the tablet to recur, and hopefully I will not see the error again.

I'll keep you posted..........................

Well, I'm happy to say that the problem has not recurred, so it looks like that was the reason. I'm so pleased that I spotted your post, because it saved me a pointless trip to the dealers, so thanks for the information!

DerekT said:
Well, I'm happy to say that the problem has not recurred, so it looks like that was the reason. I'm so pleased that I spotted your post, because it saved me a pointless trip to the dealers, so thanks for the information!
Good to hear! I haven't had any issues myself either, after switching to OBDLink adapters. Indeed, 's' as in I use more than one simultaneously :mrgreen:

My phev has stopped working lots of messages with faults main one EV system needs servicing .Now on transport ER back home 200 miles away and hirer car arranged!Hope something simple!

Back