Extension leads

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poins

I know that official advice is that extension leads must never be used for plug-in cars but I'm equally aware that many of those who drive plug-ins carry one just in case. Anyone have any tips or recommendations of the best to go for? I guess one would want a reasonably heavy duty cable and probably rubberised plugs and sockets.

i can't remember the OP, but elsewhere on this forum there was a similar thread. On that advice, I ended up buying a heavy duty extension lead with a built in RCD for protection. I'm fine at home and work with dedicated charging units, but this was visiting friends / parents / etc.

In all cases, if you get a reel lead, fully unwind it. If you can get one rated 13A or higher thats what you want. Even the 13A are likely to be lower constant load with 13A peak but I went for a sensible option.

This was the one that was recommended - in the UK can be got at B&Q or screwfix amongst others:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-rcd-1g-240v-15m/98422

hope that helps

I use them all the time. The advice is a bit silly. The car draws the same current as many household appliances and nobody advises against using an extension lead for a toaster....

jaapv said:
I use them all the time. The advice is a bit silly. The car draws the same current as many household appliances and nobody advises against using an extension lead for a toaster....

That made me chuckle :lol:

I contacted Centre Parks Whinfell to ask where I plug my Elec car in and was told they didn't have one. This is the same Centre Parks who have all Elec vehicles on site and are supposedly green friendly. :roll: I will be taking my extension cable with me and bringing my car back on site the night before to charge it up.

jaapv said:

Oh yes hey do in the UK!

I had a look at the extension leads mentioned in this thread and came up with a different one again.

The one from Screwfix has just a standard trailing socket so would not be ideal if you end up having this outside in the rain while charging.

The one from Amazon has an integrated plug/RCD so would be too large to fit in some outdoor sockets and still offer IPxx rating. Edit: the one I am referring to was in another thread somewhere - sorry.

I chose the following one which has IP54 rated sockets mounted on the reel and is a generous 20m long:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-HLP2013-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Sockets/dp/B004R255VQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1408460177&sr=8-8&keywords=masterplug+outdoor+extension

I will add an in-line RCD a few inches down the cable from the plug. I ordered an IP54 rated RCD from an eBay seller for £10.19.

Total cost just over £50.

Back