First Impressions from Test Drive, No Problems except Ipod

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnob

Good morning. Am 99% sure I will replace my company E-Class Merc with a GX4HS. I am not looking to save the world or make it greener, its purely for the personal tax savings.

Managed to get a 4HS late Saturday afternoon for return Sunday, these are my initial thoughts............

It is a wonderful driving position - love those big side mirrors.

It is not as sluggish off the mark as I expected and is a good ride on most surfaces

It is very well equipped (but see Ipod query below)

It will do everything I need it to do although I did not test it in soft shallow muddy fields.

There is a lot to take in on a test, my local dealer advised me to forget all the screens and just concentrate on the ride. I did tend to look at the small display showing where the drive was coming from and the transfer back when using regen and coasting and found that a couple of VERY long and steep hills near me managed to put about 2 miles back in the battery when using B5.

I found the MMCS to be pretty easy to get to grips with on the SatNav (much better than my Mercs which does not take a full UK postcode) and while the DAB was not so intuitive, I still managed to find BBC R2 / R4 and 6 Music which is all I want.

I had trouble with my Ipod Classic 160gb however. This is an old one and is full with about 23,000 tracks. The Apple USB lead that I normally use to Sync and Charge from my laptop was attached but the display was reading something like "Ipod not found" when selected on the screen. When I removed the lead however, the display changed to "Ipod Removed" so not sure what to do here - having the Ipod in the car is very important to me. I could buy a smaller capacity newer Ipod - I am guessing it is the number of tracks causing the problem as it happens in the Merc too but a "reset" on the Ipod always sorts it but not in the Mitsubishi

I really thought I would be disappointed after the E Class but I was not - OK it is not as quick 0-60 or as quiet and smooth at 80+ but I will not be getting stuck in only slightly muddy soft fields every weekend at this time of year when fishing or unable to get off my drive in only 2" of snow.

My dealer mentioned that i could have the front fogs finished in the body colour (black) if I wanted but did not quote a price, similarly he has a GX4HS in the showroom with 2-tone black/beige leather seating which looks great - again waiting on prices.

I think the contract hire prices for the GX4HS (36 months 12,000mpa) are better value than the 5HS as I can live without the side steps etc.

Pretty sure I will order one, there is just nothing else about at present to save me the BiK tax that this will.

Thanks for reading this, I have found the Forum extremely useful and look forward to seeing if the Ipod problem can be solved.

Ron

Welcome to the forum. I also have a GX4HS as a company car, replacing my previous BMW 520d Tourer. Almost went for the Mercedes E300 Blutec hybrid estate, but have no regrets in choosing the PHEV. Again, tax savings are a no brainer.

Glad you enjoyed the test drive. Must admit I gave up with my ipod after a couple of early failed attempts to connect it. Others will say if it can be done to work seamlessly. What I did was transferred about 20 gb of music from my ipod touch to a tiny 32 gb Scandisc USB stick, and I leave that plugged in all the time. All menus work well through the MMCS, and playback is perfect. Only thing that doesn't show is the artwork. I believe it can be done, but I can't be bothered. And my son's happy......basically he got my now redundant ipod!

The iPod connection is a pain. I had much "fun" trying to get my simple 16GB Touch to work. Like you I plugged in, waited, nothing seemed to happen, unplug and got iPod removed message. Eventually left it for about 5mins and then it finally registered. After that it worked fine and navigation of albums and tracks was easy enough. However, if unplugged, it seems it takes the MMC a while to register the iPod again. Seems it has to catalogue everything for itself, so although iPod compatible, it's only just so.

Good thread - i too am looking to switch from a german brand to a Gx4h as a company car for the BIK savings.

My major concern at present is the power when the batteries are flat and mpg.

Driver5 said:
Good thread - i too am looking to switch from a german brand to a Gx4h as a company car for the BIK savings.

Hi,

No problem when the battery is flat as the engine will start and power the car since it is a hybrid.

MPG will depend mostly on the types of journies you make and how often you can recharge. Typically, allow 35-40mpg for motorway type driving and allow the first 16-28 miles per day to not use any fuel.

If you post a typical day or weeks driving we'll be able to give rough estimates of mpg.

Kind regards,
Mark

avensys said:
Driver5 said:

Hi,

No problem when the battery is flat as the engine will start and power the car since it is a hybrid.

MPG will depend mostly on the types of journies you make and how often you can recharge. Typically, allow 35-40mpg for motorway type driving and allow the first 16-28 miles per day to not use any fuel.

If you post a typical day or weeks driving we'll be able to give rough estimates of mpg.

Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark, I have created a new thread rather than hijack this one.

Regarding the term power.. I was meaning the bhp from the petrol unit alone when the batteries are empty.

Thanks.

Driver5 said:
avensys said:
Driver5 said:

Regarding the term power.. I was meaning the bhp from the petrol unit alone when the batteries are empty.

The engine is 120HP, while the electric motors are 160HP, so it is possible under very high loadings to discharge the batteries down to a level at which the car will reduce the amount of power you can use until the batteries have recharged back to their normal minimum level which is between 26% & 32%.

From what I have read you are only likely to experience this while towing or doing high speed up mountains fully loaded.

kind regards,
Mark

ronnob said:
It is a wonderful driving position - love those big side mirrors.

Ron

But the nearside ones are not as wide a vision as the driver's side giving a significant blind spot with traffic alongside - a problem if you do a lot of driving in congested cities (e.g. London) or sur le continent. :eek:

i had problems initially as well using an ipod classic 120gb..was not happy...then realised it takes about 5 mintues from starting car for it to say ipod connected..also make sure that your ipod is using the correct firmware..see notes in the manual about supported firmware.

Reading this thread I am worried that my iPod Classic (2008 version - MB145LL) 160GB, on FW 1.1.2 will not work (in my Phev arriving in 1 month)? I checked the manual, and it stated that the iPod Classic came in a few flavors, and FW 1.1.2 would suffice for the 80GB/180GB. The 160GB version is not mentioned, except the late 2009 one, and that would required FW 2.0.4.

Anyone has the iPod Classic 160GB (2008 version) working?

Back