First test of 19,5 kWh battery in PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ThudnBlundr said:
Don't forget that the density is improving. Renault managed to almost double the capacity of their traction battery (from 22kWh to 41kWh) without changing the physical size after 4 years.

True - Mitsubishi have increased the 2019 battery capacity, but not as much as this though. I presume the 2019 is a token gesture and a bit of a test mule for the all-new 2020/2021 vehicle - so didn't want to invest too much into it.

Here in Quebec, I got a $4000. gvt rebate buying an Outlander PHEV 2018. But if the battery capacity had been 15 KWh, the rebate had been $8000. Also any option made by Mitsubishi to increase battery capacity will be welcomed and allow some to buy Mitsubishi PHEV at a great price with an extended range.

vtechtuning, do you have an update on this? Are you still driving with this 19.5kWhr battery?

Did you experience problems with heat in the "new" battery pack?

Did you solve the 25% SOC being seen as 0% SOC bug or is the impact of this bug negligible?

I would be also interested hearing about the long term success and status of this upgrade. Or if there are other attempts to make this upgrade?

My MY14 OutlanderSOH just went under 70% few hundred kilometers after the 160000 warranty limit and range is pretty inadequate at this point. I will probably try to source used better condition battery at some point or empty shell to which build a new battery and it would be nice to hear if there are any others who have attempted this and how. Specifically it would be interesting to hear if the original BMS is able to handle different cells other than those of Yuasa LEV50 (or in my case LEV40)?

My plan is to make drop in replacements for Yuasa cells that have 26 pcs of Sony VTC5A or VTC6 cells. Specifications of Yuasa state nominal voltage of 3.75 while Sony states 3.6 for VTC6 and and max voltage of 4.2V which is the same as Yuasa. So charging wise there should not be issue but obviously SOC calculation by BMS will not be correct. Yuasa LEV50 has 300A max discharge current and 26 parallel VTC5 or VTC6 would have way more than that so that should not be an issue especially since vehicle will draw far less current than what the cells are able to provide. DC charging is an other potential issue since there is small difference in voltage limits in favour of Yuasa so BMS might charge replacement battery bit further with Cc portion than what would be optimal. But then again capacity would almost twice the original battery so it might not be that big of an issue and ChaDeMo charging events are few and far between.

P.S. If some one knows cheap source for Outlander battery casing without cells, I would be happy to know that. Preferably in EU region obviously or even in Scandinavia...

Back