Flat Aux battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think I have modified anything, so probably I have not used it. Except maybe that one time I removed the complete interior of the cargo space, looking for the secundary CANBUS wires ;-)

The Mitsubishi Garage were stumped. They've sent the fault codes from the EMU back to Mitsubishi but had not heard anything back when I checked with them after four days.
I''m not optimistic they'll come back with anything.

Unfortunately if it cannot be fixed the car will have to go. I really like my Outlander but a car I cannot rely on to start after even just a couple of days parked up is no good.
I always knew the Plug in Hybrids were an interim step whilst we wait for better batteries and more charging points but I'm not comfortable going fully electric yet.
Unfortunately this has shown me that the PHEV's are just too complex and beyond what you can expect even the main dealers to be able to fully understand.

The need for an AUX battery to boot up the main car was always a design flaw in my opinion.

Umm.. I cannot recall any other complaint in this forum about a vehicle consistently losing charge in its battery. I don't think that this is a design fault problem, just a dealer unable to pinpoint a specific fault in one specific vehicle.

jaapv said:
Umm.. I cannot recall any other complaint in this forum about a vehicle consistently losing charge in its battery. I don't think that this is a design fault problem, just a dealer unable to pinpoint a specific fault in one specific vehicle.

100% agreed

Bad luck that a "weak" dealer can impact the image of a brand or even the PHEV approach

I was also at first surprised of the 12v battery presence ... but ... honestly ... it is a cheap item that does its job pretty fine ...

Possibly latest/later big battery pack will have HV (high voltage) on demand, and LW (low voltage, 12v) all time provided to the car ... with some safety for protect over discharge the main battery by constant 12v usage for long time ...

I escalated to Mitsubishi UK which seems to have jollied the dealer up. It goes in again on Tuesday so we'll see if they manage to sort it out.
They told me the AUX battery is 'special' and costs £600 to buy the Mitsubishi part, so watch out if you ever have to change yours, although I personally suspect you could fit an equivalent size standard lead acid battery for about £60.

Richardc said:
I escalated to Mitsubishi UK which seems to have jollied the dealer up. It goes in again on Tuesday so we'll see if they manage to sort it out.
They told me the AUX battery is 'special' and costs £600 to buy the Mitsubishi part, so watch out if you ever have to change yours, although I personally suspect you could fit an equivalent size standard lead acid battery for about £60.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Incredible

The AUX battery make sense only if it is cheap .. else is a dummy idea to have it, since there is already a huge battery which has no "real" issue on providing 12v power to the car

Anyhow .. I expect any 12V lead acid battery that can fit the size should be good enough as replacement.

The car will start from any 12V battery, some people even keep one of those small batteries for home alarm systems in the boot, just in case.

Maybe even this battery will be enough: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-LiFePO4-3300mAh-4s1p-26650-cell-size-x-4-Battery-Pack-w-Protection-Board-/232405486682

Quite some saving in weight too :mrgreen:

Richardc said:
My 2014 Outlander has now suffered 4 incidents of failing to start due to a flat AUX battery.
Has anybody else experienced similar and if so what was the fix.
My local garage has now spent 4 hours looking at it to no avail. They've been on the phone to Mitubushi but they just claim I must have left it on.

It's possible it happened the first time but I've been extremely careful since and definitely know that is not the cause.

What I've observed.

• The AUX battery won't recharge if the drive battery is full. The cable just turns off. I've had to recharge the AUX battery with a conventional battery charge or use a jump box, both connected to the big tag in the fuse box. I consider this a design flaw,
    My AUX battery seems to go flat if the car is left parked up for several days. So far no cause has been found. The Battery has been tested a couple of times and passed both times.

I really like my outlander so it would be a real shame to have to get rid of it for such a trivial problem .

Interesting discussion about the 12V aux battery. I'm in search-mode for a similar problem with loosing charge of the main battery while parking. Some have suggested it could be the aux battery which takes some energy from the drive battery while parking. My PHEV has no Wifi so there is no top-up happening at 1400. This all happens since May 2017 to my car. Before that there was no loss. Interesting that you posted this topic at around the same time. It was around that time when my PHEV went through the recall and got the spark plugs replaced and an PHEV ECU update. So could this all be software related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2WIoEmQSzk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1yu4-WRDas
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPnDjnl798

I had to replace my Mitsubishi. The local Mitsubishi dealer refused to believe there was a problem. It had got so that there was an 80% probability that the AUX battery would be flat if it was parked up and undriven or left off charge for more than 2 days. I ended up packing a lithIon jump-start battery just to get me out of problems. I left it with them for 3 days but they found nothing wrong. I suspect it was because they checked it every day rather than just leaving it alone.
I liked the car but I don't feel the UK dealer network is at the level needed to support such a high tech Vehicle.
I am now very happy with a BMW PHEV

Back