Frozen wing mirror

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilyead

Very cold last night. When I unlocked the PHEV this morning the driver's wing mirror didn't unfold. There doesn't seem to be any manual override and I didn't want to break it. Had to wait until car had defrosted. Luckily I wasn't in a rush. Could have used the remote defrost in advance but it keeps setting off the alarm so have given up with that. Any ideas about unfolding the mirror without breaking something?

I wondered about that too, as last week was the coldest it has been since I have had the car and it did sound a bit worrying when I unlocked the car and the mirrors folded open.

I’m not sure that pre-heating would make much difference anyway given that the mirrors are outside ?

I think there is a setting somewhere in MMCS to change the default behaviour of the mirrors so that they don’t automatically open and close as you lock and unlock the car, so that would allow them to remain in the open position for the winter ?

There is a recommendation somewhere in the manual to turn off the automatic wing mirror folding in cold weather. I did last year, but have not yet.

Guys, thanks for the really useful advice. I couldn't find anything about this in the main manual but it is buried deep in the vehicle settings stuff in the MMCS manual. Sorted.

After a couple of alarming creaks & cracks, last year, I set mine to 'off'.

Now am in the habit of pressing the little button on the door to close/open them as I want, usually in carparks & road sides. I don't bother at home, as I have plenty of space all round and that's the place it's most likely going to freeze,

Back