Going Downhill in snow etc.?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWh

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to drive the outlander when going downhill in snow and ice? I'm used to manual 4x4s and vehicles with downhill assist where it applies the brakes automaticall to control speed etc but I'm wondering if the are any tips for the PHEV as it is fully auto and doesn't seem to have a downhill control button like my old Freelander had?
Thanks

Yes - drive down very carefully. 4 WD does not do anything useful going down, the only thing is that regen will help to brake smoothly. And you have ABS of course. For the rest it behaves like any two ton lump on a slippery slope - it would prefer to go get to the bottom in the shortest straight line :( :eek:

Good winter tyres help. A lot!

Never ever use the hand brake; you'll end up rear end first. :geek:

jaapv said:
Never ever use the hand brake; you'll end up rear end first. :geek:

Which hand brake? (Talking about newer models)
There is only a crazy button but no hand brake that would allow to control the braking force on the rear axle.
:(, Harald

Thanks and yes, I've never been tempted to use the handbrake, usually going down steep, slippery hills, either snow or mud I'd rely on engine braking to slow me down and keep the wheels turning but with the PHEV that's not easy to do. Guess I'll get some practice going over the Jura mountains in a few days time.

DavidWh said:
Thanks and yes, I've never been tempted to use the handbrake, usually going down steep, slippery hills, either snow or mud I'd rely on engine braking to slow me down and keep the wheels turning but with the PHEV that's not easy to do. Guess I'll get some practice going over the Jura mountains in a few days time.

Agree in principle. It just looks a bit different if the steep descent should be in reverse.

In this case, the front wheels get by far more braking force than they can bear.
Having a normal hand brake for the rear wheels helps in such a case.

Best regards, Harald

DavidWh said:
B5 works rather well, in my experience, it reduces the use of the brakes to a minimum.

Back