HELP needed - Outlander PHEV to tow a caravan

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbird

Hello All
I'm thinking of getting a PHEV to use back and for to work (about 10 miles each way) and to tow a caravan about once a month (more in the summer)

I love our caravan , so don't want to change that , and I'm wondering if the PHEV is up to towing it

From the website it gives the PHEV as

Kerb weight kg

Towing capacity, braked kg

anyone know the Gross Train Weight figure ?

The caravan
Mass in Running Order weight: 1260 kgs
MTPLM: 1500kg

this gives 1500/1810 = 83 % ratio of the weight
buy 100% match on the Max Towing

Any help on if this is suitable would be great

thanks

If I were you I would look through the forum abit as this has been asked, answered and discussed on a regular basis. The short answer is - yes, the car is fine for towing a caravan.
However, it is not a good idea to exceed the weight limit, even if the car can handle it, as you may be taken off the road at a check and your insurance will be very difficult/nasty in case of an accident.

Thanks for the reply
i've seen a few people mention towing someting (van , boatetc ) at 1500Kg

There alot of confusing info about tow weight on other sites

Well, the legal limit for towing with the PHEV is 1500 Kg, and in general it will do this easily. Total weight can be calculated easily as it will be 1500Kg+1880 Kg (vehicle-country dependent) +passengers + luggage in the vehicle. I am not quite up to date with the legal limits for train weight in different countries, but I imagine that can easily found. At any rate it is illegal to exceed 1500 Kg total weight of the caravan at full load, so you should just be on the right side of the max. there.
I don't know about the UK but in Europe there will be spot checks by the police for caravan weights in the holiday seasons.

The information on the VIN plate is the one you have to adhere to in the end as it is the figure that the DVSA will use if they stop you and weigh you and it was what the car was homologated against.
(as long as we are talking private usage - no tacho)

According to the plate in my door the Maximum gross train weight is 3890kg
With a maximum rear axle load of 1255kg.
The cars maximum weight is 2310kg with the car at maximum weight you are covered for 1580kg gross.

Back