High Mileage performance

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I8Binners
I think you may struggle to do that on one tank of fuel (rather than having 1/5 tank left) if you are only starting with 20 mile ev and not charging en route... will be interesting to see how you get on - let us know...
Congrats on getting the car today - very exciting!
Cheers
H

I will be watching for further replies as I am a high mileage user and am still toying with the idea of upgrading to the PHEV.

It is all about the cost per mile :lol:

TerryB said:
I will be watching for further replies as I am a high mileage user and am still toying with the idea of upgrading to the PHEV.

If you are a high mileage user, your cost per mile will probably be lower with a diesel (at least for now- the government seems intent on penalising them more and more). Tax related costs will be lower on the PHEV and the only way to work out where you are best off is by modelling it. I spent a long time with Excel trying out scenarios before committing - we will be slightly better off with the hybrid, but the static tax breaks are critical to that calculation.

maby said:
TerryB said:

If you are a high mileage user, your cost per mile will probably be lower with a diesel (at least for now- the government seems intent on penalising them more and more). Tax related costs will be lower on the PHEV and the only way to work out where you are best off is by modelling it. I spent a long time with Excel trying out scenarios before committing - we will be slightly better off with the hybrid, but the static tax breaks are critical to that calculation.

Thanks for the comments.

Although a private purchase I get a car allowance and fuel allowance. The 2.0l petrol allowance is about 5p/mile more than the 1.7l diesel allowance and when I am just in the office (about 2 days a week) I can charge it there and therefore the home - office trips become free but I can still claim for them :D

My diesel is only returning low 40's mpg (only 11k on the clock yet), so I do need to do more calcs.

However, I like the PHEV :lol:

For company car drivers It's all about the tax. That is where you make the saving. Taking the fuel allowance is also well worthwhile.

If you do lots of short(ish) runs, with an off peak charge on board, then you really see good mpg , but deplete the battery and rested the trip and you see 30mpg if you run in lane 2 and 3 and stick to under 80mph.

The upside is that the mpg in town and around the lanes is about the same.

The real pisser on a run is the range......check the tank size...also when your range indicator drops below 30, it disappears from view so it's time to fill up ASAP.

One I am trying to confirm is the wading depth..... coming from Landrovers, I could manage with our annual floods, but I think in this I will have to stay home more!

The quiet smooth progression is great and I'm looking forward to trying out the programmable heater this winter!

Right guys, it's 2.18am in the UK and I have just got back from the Norwich game (we won 3-0 at Brentford, I can tell you are all interested!).

I had to refill the petrol after 304 miles of electric and petrol as my mileage counter went from 30 to Zip as soon as the fuel light came on (I didn't like this), however when I filled up it was only 37 litres which means my MPG was 37.03mpg which for motorway driving between 70-75mph and fairly easy driving I'm pretty happy with. My car says the average was 37.90 so not to far out.

Good Points- An amazing car to drive, it really is a beautiful drive over long distances.
DAB radio
Bluetooth works well
Sat Nav is acceptable
It looks top notch

Bad Points- The fact each time you start the engine you have to press the cruise control button, it should just stay on regardless
Small Petrol tank- I know its not for long distances really and to keep weight down but 45 litres is pitiful
Remote Boot Opening- You have to be fairly precise
The save function doesn't totally save your electric, when I clicked it and then watched the energy source the batteries were still being used
The mileage less indicator isn't accurate, it can't just go from 30 to 0 like that.
The entertainment system takes quite a long time to load up

I know there are more bad points but they are really minor niggles, the fact is the drive for me is incredible!

I might post more tomorrow after a sleep!

Cheers

I8Binners said:
Right guys, it's 2.18am in the UK and I have just got back from the Norwich game (we won 3-0 at Brentford, I can tell you are all interested!).

Small Petrol tank- I know its not for long distances really and to keep weight down but 45 litres is pitiful

Cheers

No - I'm impressed that you went - Brentford!!!!!! I once went to a mid-week game at Highbury when there were so few Norwich fans that the home crowd started a fight in the season ticket seats amongst themselves. This was in the days when Arsenal really justified the booooooring tag.

However, why do you say 45 litres is pitiful? That's the same as my Avensis and I don't get anything like 40 mpg.

greendwarf said:
I8Binners said:

Cheers

No - I'm impressed that you went - Brentford!!!!!! I once went to a mid-week game at Highbury when there were so few Norwich fans that the home crowd started a fight in the season ticket seats amongst themselves. This was in the days when Arsenal really justified the booooooring tag.

However, why do you say 45 litres is pitiful? That's the same as my Avensis and I don't get anything like 40 mpg.
I think for a 4x4 it is small, my Civic could get me to most places and back in one tank whereas the PHEV will more often than not need filling up twice over one journey, its a minor thing but hey ho

I8Binners said:
greendwarf said:
I8Binners said:

Cheers

I think for a 4x4 it is small, my Civic could get me to most places and back in one tank whereas the PHEV will more often than not need filling up twice over one journey, its a minor thing but hey ho

But it's not a "proper" 4x4, is it? I've had Landrovers that were equipped to cross the Sahara - my Outlander will not cross anything more testing than Boxmoor Common!

I8Binners said:
The save function doesn't totally save your electric, when I clicked it and then watched the energy source the batteries were still being used
While the engine is warming up it will stay almost entirely on battery. Once warmed up, about 2-4 minutes, the petrol engine will take the load. There will be occasions even then, probably due to the battery charge level rising slightly above what it was when you hit save, when it will switch back to EV mode until teh battery level drops a little.

I mostly agree with your other comments.
Kind regards,
Mark

maby said:
But it's not a "proper" 4x4, is it? I've had Landrovers that were equipped to cross the Sahara - my Outlander will not cross anything more testing than Boxmoor Common!
This winter I drove the Outlander up a snowy slope naked where a Discovery needed chains.... :twisted:

jaapv said:
maby said:
This winter I drove the Outlander up a snowy slope naked where a Discovery needed chains.... :twisted:

Really Jaapv - I know Holland has a reputation for a liberal attitude to sex but all this talk nudity and bondage is too much for a staid Englishman such as myself at this time in the morning :shock:

Thanks for all replies. Thought you would like to know that I took my main journey for the first time. The distance is 42 miles and I managed 20 on electric and 22 on petrol and averaged 73.6mpg which I was pretty chuffed with.

Be interesting what it is when I go back but theoretically it shouldn't change much!

Edit. Over 84 miles (42 miles both ways) I averaged 84.4mpg....really chuffed with that.

Hi to all You PHEV Boys.

I took delivery of my New PHEV on Friday 12th Sept.

My Previous car was a Freelander, which I Loved. The BIK was 35% the decision to get a Phev was a total no-Brainer.

I have now travelled 466 miles and used 20.6 litres. I have charged the car 5 times at home.
OK, I only get about 25 miles on a charge, but as they say Every Little Helps.

I think the Phev is a wonderful piece of Technology. There are plenty of Gadgets and Buttons I can play with on my travels, and yes there are niggling little things, like having to go back to set Menus after you have come out of one thing to another, but Hey ! So far I am absolutely delighted with my Phev.

It certainly, is a lot more economical than my LandRover.

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:
maby said:

Really Jaapv - I know Holland has a reputation for a liberal attitude to sex but all this talk nudity and bondage is too much for a staid Englishman such as myself at this time in the morning :shock:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: and all that in the snow @ minus ten....

Nobody told these guys!!

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-places-first-asia-cross-country-rally-2014/

Also entered in the Australasian Safari

Cheers

Chris

Lyra252 said:
Nobody told these guys!!

http://insideevs.com/mitsubishi-outlander-phev-places-first-asia-cross-country-rally-2014/

Also entered in the Australasian Safari

Cheers

Chris

Liked the comment that, apart from all the modifications, it was "almost" the same as a production car ;)

Back