Higher Octane Fuel

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1972

Just wondered if anybody is using the higher octane fuels that are readily available in the UK (Shell v-power, BP ulitmate, Tesco momentum etc) in their PHEV's?

As these are generally recognised as being 'better for your engine' than your standard unleaded fuel in terms of performance and engine wear, does it make sense to use this due to the fact the ICE may or may not be run very frequently?

The extra mpg you tend to get with these fuels isn't my consideration here; more the potentially infrequent use of the ICE at times and the feeling that a better quality fuel may be more appropriate due to this.

Just a thought.....

Well, for one thing they do not deteriorate as fast as regular fuel due to less Ethanol content, so if you have a spare canister in the boot it is wise to use a higher grade fuel there.

David
I do try to use those fuels - I use my money off at Tesco to upgrade to Momentum for instance. I had started using it in my old car and thought I noticed a difference with that fuel (I had previously had a problem with the car stalling and apparently the throttle was gunked up) and it is supposed to help economy. For me, it is an attempt to keep my new car as clean and efficient as possible rather than gorming it up with cheap and potentially substandard supermarket fuel.
Cheers
H

Supermarket fuel is the same fuel in every other Major pump. The reason it is sometimes cheaper is the vast buying power and discounts they offer. It can be seen as a loss leader just to get you in the car park! In fact "some" franchises and independents are the worst as there tanks are not as well looked after!

Sharky said:
Supermarket fuel is the same fuel in every other Major pump. The reason it is sometimes cheaper is the vast buying power and discounts they offer. It can be seen as a loss leader just to get you in the car park! In fact "some" franchises and independents are the worst as there tanks are not as well looked after!

And a lot of the "Premium" fuels are the same stuff as goes into the regular pump with some extra additives dropped in just before delivery. Doesn't anyone remember the trouble Shell had some years ago when they were getting their tanker drivers to dose up the fuel in the tanker and some were getting the concentration wrong?

Back