HIRE CAR EXPERIENCE / BATTERY MANAGEMENT?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobiman

Just returned from a trip to the far north of Scotland which required a 4x4 hire (provided by Hertz).
We usually get pretty primitive Hi-Lux/Warrior vehicles so very surprised when a colleague turned up in a PHEV GX4 in precisely my own car spec and colour.
He had no idea how to charge so set it up with the supplied cable to fully charge. However it became very clear that this car had only approximately half the range of my own car - around 14 miles to 25ish for mine.
It had 12k to my 6k but was newer (15 to 14). It did make me wonder whether fast charging had contributed to it. I've never fast charged mine.
Food for thought.

Look at the number of bars - 16 with about 1.5to 1.75 miles of range each, I don't bother with the range now as I can almost always exceed it. The daft thing is I drive carefully, but the car doesn't show a range much above 27 EV unless I did a fast charge the day before, then I get 31+, go figure :roll:

That was actual performance.
The reason I noticed was that I had a 7 mile return pick up after a full charge. On quiet highland roads, no a/c, 40-60 cruise with a few stops. It only just made it back on electric.
I didn't have time to be more scientific and my car was 600 miles away so can't claim it to be anything more than an observation.

You say "far north of Scotland" - what was the temperature? My PHEV has never been able to do much more than 16 miles on EV when the temperature gets down close to zero - even when it was less than three months old.

Wasn't temperature. It was glorious (for Scotland). Unseasonably warm - around 16-18.
Drove it with ventilation off/window open.

Back